Gameplay
  • 19 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
stickyfrog wrote:
Hello E1.....I'm relatively new to online play but so far I am enjoying the competition and gameplay.

Forgive me if this point has been brought up before, I'm sure it has, but what's the up and down sides of a "surrender" button or tab?

I know it would probably lead to mass surrender after 5 or 6 rounds when someone decides they didn't get the troop placement they wanted, or people quitting because they don't like the other players, etc. It could easily be abused. 

But then again when you're in a six or eight player game and you're down to 8 troops and 2 countries, and you know you're done, why not surrender and live to fight another day?

Maybe you could program it to only be live after 10 or 15 rounds, something like that. Or perhaps make it a game option that you select when you create a new game.

I know I'm missing something, so don't be afraid to fill me in on the topic.

Thanks....Frog
lifeinpixels wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. This idea has been discussed many times before (use the search bar for the forums) and I believe it's currently being worked on.
Matty wrote:
Yes, it will be done at some point, but it takes some time.

Apart from that, why do you write your entire text in bold?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
urgul wrote:
im not sure a surrender button should be made... unless somehow they could make it so you can only push it after like 8 or 10 rounds or something like that, or if you have less than 6 territories.
elysium5 wrote:
Never surrender!
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
urgul wrote:
hey elysium 5, yes, surrendering does seem like a bad idea, but sometimes if you are in really bad shape and you want to go and do something else, it would be good to surrender
elysium5 wrote:
Never give up, never surrender! I speak only for myself and the commander and crew of the NSEA Protector.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
killrick wrote:
never never never surrender!!! dont join a game unless you can win or die trying
dont waste other peoples time by surrendering and changing the dinamics of the game at hand.
eg: i use half of my troups whittling down an oppenent so i can kill for there cards and then poof!! they surrender takin there cards with them to the grave and half of my troups dead too
i could rant all day about the surrender option,
the only games that it would be an acceptable option is a 2 person game
and even then
go play solitair if ya cant handle the battlefield
lifeinpixels wrote:
That's actually a great point killrick, i'd never thought of that. If a player surrenders they at least need to yield their cards if their neutral territories are destroyed. In fact, I think this should apply to players who have been kicked for missing too many turns. That's messed me up in quite a few games.
killrick wrote:
i just read dawsons thing and had to post it here because it just fits into this subject so well

DAWSON : Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.

and never never never make a quit,give up,wimp out,kvorkian suicide,surrender button!!!!!

and when ya do make one of them stupid buttons can ya please make it so we can see how many times each player has used it so i dont invite one of those kamakazy lunatics into a game
The_Bishop wrote:
Of course, we can't allow one player to leave a game by surrendering! But in the case that everybody agrees that the game is over (but maybe still long), we can allow to quickly end the game.

I think it may be implemented in this way:
- a special message should be displayed in the game chat when a player press the surrender button
(something like "killrick proposes surrender");
- when all the live players, except one, press the surrender button, the game ends and that "one" is the winner.

It doesn't change the game, it's just a way to stop long and obvious game endings that are boring.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
The main thing here is that alot of newbies leave (live) games, by simply not taking their turns.
Some of them say so in advance. If they leave anyway, why not give them a button that makes sure everyone else doesn't have to wait 10 needless minutes...
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Well that makes sense. If it has the same effect of leaving the game but reducing the 10 mins wait to 0 and remaining still killable for 2 turns (as currently is)...
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Yep, the only thing it will do is automatically reset the timer to 0 when its your turn.