Desktop Version
  • 7 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
lifeinpixels wrote:
How hard would it be to make a desktop version of this site, to be played offline?

I don't have a background in programming so it may be a nightmare or a simple project, but it seems like everything is in place to make a simple conversion. We have great graphics, no bugs, and many interesting types of gameplay. There are times when I don't have an internet connection but still want to play a game of risk with friends. Also, I might want to play on one of these unique maps with friends without relying on a network and avoid any suspicion of cheating.

Obviously some modes, like same-time, wouldn't work. Also, no AI but that doesn't seem necessary.

This could be an additional way to make some money for the site. Free gameplay online, but maybe $5-10 for a standalone app?

lifeinpixels wrote:
I was going suggest integration with the dominating12.com servers when internet is connected, but that may be too much to ask for at the moment. Actually this whole idea is pretty big but I just wanted to throw it out there and see what you guys think.
Matty wrote:
It would be pretty hard to do.
But you can just play online with your friends. Just make sure that you explain the game to them, and make it a fun game.

I mean, if you tell us that you play with your friend a 100 times, and every single time he places his troops of his capital, and you win in the first turn, then yes, we will ban you for cheating, but then I assume your friend is not that dumb :)

I play games with just my friends too (this was the last one, ingame is a link to the one before, we only played two) http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=69410
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lifeinpixels wrote:
Yeah, that part was a bit of an afterthought; I've played friends here a lot. One time a mod said we had the same IP address which was strange but otherwise everything's been fine.
But if it's hard I guess it won't happen for a while, if at all. Which is fine with me, since I know the current to-do list is pretty exciting!
Matty wrote:
It's basically is as hard as making this whole site again :)
Well, maybe a bit less, but that's the kind of thing you have to think of.
The best way to do this is to mod TurboRisk ( http://www.marioferrari.org/freeware/turborisk/turborisk.html ), and add our maps.
But at the moment it can't handle anything else than the world map, most of the AI's (all the good ones except Vexer and, partially, Brainless) are map specific, and it will take a while before it gets open source (if ever).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lifeinpixels wrote:
I'll have to see if TurboRisk works with wine or another pc emulator; otherwise my computer will spit it out :(