And, why new players should avoid it
  • 26 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Glanru wrote:
If you take a look at the maps and number of games played, you will find that the caribbean map is by far the most played. If you look at it, you assume you understand it. As all new players likely do. There is one thing that you should consider, if it is so easy to understand, and new players think they have equal footing on it, then why is it the top played? Well the answer is: it is deceptionally easy.

That means it is not as easy at it seems and average players to good players who have been on this site for a while know that. They select the map intentionally because it is easy points against new players, and not much of a risk (meaning they should win approximately 50% of the time against same skill players).

Suggestions for new players instead: United States map is exceptional at 3-4 player games regardless of expertise. Also, the Saturn map is great for 2-4 player gaming even if you are new, or new to Capitals.
Cireon wrote:
I think you mean caribbean instead of cuba? :P
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Vexer wrote:
Well it was originally titled Cuba so that's where that came from.
Bardock75 wrote:
What makes the map so deceptive. I would estimate the 50% win rate is about right but I would attribute luck to it more than I would skill. 
tryitonce wrote:
My reason to choose this map is because I don't like increasing sets of armies and this map in most cases is finished within let's say 15 to 20 minutes; and that's what I like about it.
In a small percentage of games a rookie player joins it and by his unexperienced play on top of that he looses the game; still other players who joined it can benefit of his inexperience as well so for me that's not the reson to choose this map.
It's just quick without using increasing dice.
urgul wrote:
carribean is the most played? personally, i think that's surprising. i thought it was the original risk map, the world one.
Matty wrote:
Yes, the world classic is most played (but only by a little bit)

But he means, from all the 'custom maps' I guess.

In comparison:
#1: World classic: 37812 Games
#2: Caribbean: 30278 Games
#3: Isthmus of Panama: 5095 Games
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Matty wrote:
Well Panama is a very old map, I believe its the second or third map there is on this site.
So if its there for a long time, more games are played right?

It is less popular now. Not sure why though, as its a pretty good map for 2-5 players.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
urgul wrote:
i cant believe the popularity gap, though, between the carribean and the next most popular map. Carribean is 5.94 times more popular than Panama! incredible!
elysium5 wrote:
I tried to set up a game on the Panama map but it said I need premium to play or pay tokens for it but it shows in my map list that I've already purchased with tokens the ability to use the map. I'm confused...
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Vexer wrote:
You don't have to purchase premium maps they are pre-purchased for you when you create an account so that they show up in your list of available maps. But if you are not premium then you have to pay tokens for each game you want to play on it.
elysium5 wrote:
Thank you. I was just confused as to why it said purchased on the list.

Next question if I may. I bought realm of honored players with tokens, for example, and now I can use it any time. Panama and Africa are the only two maps I can see that you either have to purchase premium to use whenever you want or purchase with tokens each time you want to play it instead.

Are there any other maps besides those two that are available to premium members all time without paying tokens every time for it? I played a couple of games on that WW2 mapwhich I loved!), for example, but I don't see it on any list.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."