Holland regional map...
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
dragon007 wrote:
The other day i looked at the maps available at the moment and i felt like something is missing just yet.
may also be due to the fact of the number of dutch people i came across on this site (there are more then i had suspected when i first joined the site)

So i took a few hrs to make a basic idea of a map on the netherlands (how surprisingly... xD)
atm there are like 57/58 territories but as its only an initial display i still could want to erase a few.
also naming of the territories and later the rings ofc will be placed.
THis image is just a view of how the regions would look like, and i need to think a bit about how to distribute the region bonus and that kind of stuff.
Btw i just installed some programs which should be able to help developing the map, as i only made this here in MS paint lol :P

anyway tnx for reading this :)
It seems the picture is kinda large though lol
and i almost forgot, i also want to ask on if it feels a bit playable or not?

[image]
Cireon wrote:
Well, currently a lot of regions have all their territories on their borders. Only Limburg and the islands are a bit easy to defend, the others aren't really. I have thought about making a map on the Netherlands too, but I just couldn't come up with anything that sounded fun to play. I think the current lay-out won't really work because of the connectedness of the territories...
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dragon007 wrote:
hmm guess ur right at that, well...
i myself actually saw zeeland (the half islandish group on the south) as 4 territories with entrance by connections at bergen op zoom and near dordrecht.
the region above that, maybe could make that 3 territories to defend (clearing a line and joining 2 areas together)
North holland has potentially 4 territories to defend (also gives a higher regional bonus)
Those islands in the north only 2...
And well for Utrecht, groningen limburg and drenthe also have 2 regions as you can see (giving only a small bonus, with maybe from limburg 1 more as there are more territories you need to get)

The only hard points i see, are north-brabant, overijssel and gelderland...
Maybe even just want to get rid of flevoland just so not to make the map overcomplicated as it already is
Friesland has 3 regions to defend, but also only 3 to capture so.

probably i might even think of splitting up those 3 hardpoints as i said earlier making them into 4 or 3 territory regions. (except for overijssel/orange colour as that one is already made up of 4)
then they would split with the thicker line in between that region.
idk yet about colouring, but that certainly needs to be redone anyways xD

i hope you still understand what i was trying to say
and would it then seem a bit more likely for playability?
Cireon wrote:
It is really hard to imagine that from a piece of text, so I'd rather see a more clear image which clearly tells what the regions are and which territory can attach which.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
dragon007 wrote:
xD probably also posted this one a bit too soon...
i think i'm going to think more about it and come back later with a few ideas on those territory lines xD
and then you so you can see which one will work out best.
none could also be a possibility, but at least i can say i have tried it then ;)
-NoXoN- wrote:
Can be fun to play on this map, you can use rivers for better game-play if you need.
 Read these topics before you start working on graphic.
 http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=589
 http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=609
dragon007 wrote:
actually, i've already seen those topics on making maps but still tnx xD
and about those rivers...
well it could be a good idea, but there's lots of rivers in the netherlands.
if you count the most important ones, then there are 3 of them might be a bit hard to implement those, even with crossings which i suppose you would certainly need if adding rivers to the play
Vexer wrote:
Unfortunately not every location can make a good risk map without a lot of work using impassables. Impassables usually make the map take several weeks to several months longer to make. I am glad that you are working to get the gameplay right before more graphics work gets done though.
Cireon wrote:
I think Dutch rivers should be used in the gameplay, making bridges a very important thing. I mean, during WWII, the bridges were basically the only thing they were fighting for.

Mountains however... we don't have many of those...