D-12's first actual war map?
  • 18 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Leedog wrote:
Figured instead of complaining about a lack of war maps... I would try to create one:

1. This is rough draft
2. Red dotted lines = bridges
3. Green circles = ships, along with their connection lines
4. Blues circle = Japanese plane squadron, along with their connection lines
5. Images of ships and planes still need to be added

6. If this map has potential and gameplay is suitable... I would be looking for help!
7. Looking for assistance from one the top 5 map makers here (Vexer, Noxon, Glanru, Thorpe or Butters).
8. I do not have the skills to come up with a great ocean, colors and textures... and need assistance from one of the best for this map to succeed.
9. If interested, you can private message me and I will send you file.
10. Name of map maker that would be interested, would have their name placed first on map.
11. Suggestions welcome and what I have done (need to do more before sending), I'm willing to change for better gameplay.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/715/pearlharbor1941.jpg/
Thorpe wrote:
Leedog you are a chicken!!! To much work?
LOL

Nice concept...could have a battleship as a territory.

Maybe put this map at a angle, more 3d look. add a graphic to the top with the U.S flag on one halve and the Japan flag on the other... use up 1/6 of the map. It is like a header or move to the bottom of the map.

Great concept...keep them coming!
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
I think this would make a great map.

Unfortunately I don't have time to help make the map, only help polish it at the end if needed.

The space you set aside for the mini map is too small. You have a squarish map but a rectangular space for the mini map.
Leedog wrote:
@Thorpe: Willing to do whatever work I can, but I'm dealing with a skill level lower than the rest of the map makers here. Examples: Could have never done the bridges in San Francisco like Butters did. Without you and Vexer helping with NYC, the map would have never turned out as well as it did.

The map I'm working with has all the names and placements of the ships that were in the harbor... having some as territories is a great idea... especially the Arizona... probably the most famous ship sunk that day!

Also, has for your 3-D suggestion, have a concept for the World War II invasion at Normandy that I'll work on after this one, that might be a better fit for that idea.

@Vexer, thanks for you support on concept and your offer to "polish" map at end.

I can handle the grunt work. The planes and ships need to look great, they are the key to the maps success. Probably need an blue ocean instead of paper... and then just need color and texture and the map will be at least 90% done.

To use a football analogy... I'm the fullback opening up a hole at the line of scrimmage, doing the grunt work. Just need a running back with the skills and finesse to go through it and score a touchdown!!
Matty wrote:
I like the idea, especially if ships (and jap planes) are territories.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Pls Leedog use links like this: http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/6421/pearlharbor1941.jpg
Just because I like to see it fullscreen and... I HATE AD!

I think this map has the right shape for a good game-play. I would need to know how many territories are there, what are the region and what the bonuses.

But maybe you need to plan the representation while you look at the game-play. Here a map with all the names of the american ships http://my.execpc.com/~dschaaf/bshiprow.gif

Have you some names for those territories?
Why the Japenese squadron is there? Shouldn't be all over the map? Because they attacked from every direction.

Potentially very good and potentially very long job.
Good luck! ;)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
Lol bisshop, get an adblocker :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Leedog wrote:
Bishop:

7 regions with 5-7 territories each... bonuses will be figured out later.

Each of the 7 regions has a territory buried for capital placement... so the only work would be to figure out capitals 8 and 9.

Names of territories will be figured out later, find that mission to be one of the more easier to accomplish... they will of course be accurate.

Placed Japanese squadron there to represent a bombing run on the battleships. Yes, they did attack from every direction, but concerned if planes were all over the map, it may appear too cluttered (learned that from NYC map).

The toughest thing to accomplish in this map would be making the planes and ships look good... but it can be done!! Hopefully, this map would take less time than NYC, but still want the same standards for this map.

Leedog wrote:
-Noxon- has agreed to work on map with me. Though, won't have anything new until late January or early February.
-NoXoN- wrote:
I havent been working on this map since january cause i was busy with WWII map. I would like to have some suggestions and critics from you.
Need some help with names and bonuses.
 Im thinking to change icons so they dont look like real planes and ships, i have in mind to make black icon for planes and blue for ships. So i will change them but first i put on map everything and after i try to make them better. White dots around ships are thee to remind me something they will not be on final image. The thick line that you can see on map it is bridge.

[image]
Matty wrote:
Its difficult to say anything about region bonusses and gameplay if I don't know what's connected.
Plane's and ships look nice!

Overall looks are good, though the white on the coasts is a bit too much I think.
Leedog wrote:
Map looks great!!

I like the ships and planes... would hate to see them go!

Not a fan of the bridge though.

The explosions on the ships and the plane's shadow over the water are fabulous details!

If need help with names of territories, could help with those... not a hard mission to accomplish.

One possibility to replace bridge (doesn't exist in real life) is to have a connection line from the land to the plane squadron, then a connection line from squadron to ships and have that be the connection from the land to middle island (Air Base)?

Again, I feel the planes and ships provide that "wow" - "cool" factor and should definitely stay on map (my opinion).

Excellent work -NoXon-!!
Leedog wrote:
Also, this map is like a "sister" map to -NoXon-'s 'World War Map'.

Furthermore, there could be a possibility that the 'Normandy Invasion Map' would be the final map the the D-12 World at War map trilogy.