A map themed on US westward expansion.
  • 59 posts
  • Page 3 of 4
Glanru wrote:
It has been a while. My focus in life has been elsewhere. 

I have reviewed my previous work and I made a few adjustments. The lace idea on the border is just something I do not want to take the time to correct, so I have removed it. I have changed the font and made about 20 subtle adjustments that effect the overall look and feel of the map with the hope of making it slightly more pleasing to the eye in general.

It may be possible to display regions correctly and within my skill level to do so. However, I feel (emotional response not based on logic) that this really has the best potential of any idea ever proposed on this site to be the one map that has no regions. Regions are an integral part of what most think this game is, but it can't hurt to have one option without them.

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/Trails_6.jpg
Matty wrote:
If we want a map without regions, than this map will be a good idea for that yes. This one or the south pole map suggested by Pixels xD

I'm not a fan of a regionless map, mainly because of domination/fixed games (or low capped for that matter (in this case, also high capped I geuss)).
But then, if you only create increasing games on this map, why not?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
lifeinpixels wrote:
If you still want me to finish that Antarctica map, I'd be more than happy. Maybe a cute penguin graphic would give it that finishing touch you're looking for?
Holt wrote:
I honestly think this map should stay regionless. If we do you might need to understand that it will more than likely be played less than other maps. It would be a great map for 1v1 play though.
Thorpe wrote:
Agreed. Great map for just all out battle for anyone.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Glanru wrote:
Thorpe wrote:
Is it me or is the color on the coast outline bleeding over? It is on the curve of the outline, also some parts of the terrotry lines have bloches on them ...caused by the photo being dark or light on the lines...Fort Larsmie. 

Looking at the top half of Cailf. and some of the other states the color bleeds over to the other state. But again it might be my eyes.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
With regard to Fendi's suggestion of making background colours all neutral, if the individual States pictures are in separate layers, couldn't you just slide the opacity up or down on each to match the contrast across the field? This would allow the overlaid foreground / screen or the colour zones of each State to be turned into the same grey.
I'm not entirely sure how you have the layered version, so I don't know how easy or difficult this would be for you.

The overall look of the map is a bit pale for me, I think it needs some contrast in places, perhaps a dark outline of the mainland?

Darker / bolder route or trail lines?

I like the concept of region-less, there are only 30 territories anyway and an equal opportunity for a 2 player game and very difficult for any player to even get 12 territories in 3 or more player games.
3 lucky territories (click to show)
If you did go with regions however, there are 3 lucky territories to get where they are protected by 2 other territories that you'd have to come through to get to them, these are Bozeman, Council Bluffs & San Diego. To have these territories to start would give a big advantage in being able to concentrate troops in the connecting territories and reduce the number of troops required in these 3, allowing you to use the extra troops from them to fortify in larger numbers than you opponents.
All the other Regions would have to fortify all 3 territories within.
Region-less in this case, actually offers this advantage to all the players throughout the whole map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Cireon wrote:
I don't think having some regions being more attractive than others is that big of a problem. It is only a better incentive to fight over them and a +1 bonus is seriously not too much, especially in increasing or most capped games.

I am not a fan of regionless maps because then they suddenly become not very interesting for fixed and no cards games.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Glanru wrote:
As the links have gone dead, I decided to post the latest version of the map. All substantial work was done in 2013; some minor opacity settings may have been changed in 2014 and the border was slightly modified in 2014.

I am curious if anyone has any more thoughts on the map. I still think this map would be a great for region-less play. Or perhaps someone has new clever ideas for regions that would fit the map?

https://i.imgur.com/6hqcB3S.jpg

Keep in mind Imgur reduced the image size from 946kb to 152kb, so please forgive the artifacts which are clearly visible around the text.
Fendi wrote:
I wouldn't mind giving this map a try. I'm kind of curious as to how the game-play will be
Matty wrote:
Yes, I'd like to see the gameplay. I'm not sure if it's going to be a good map, but then I don't know if it doesn't either. So let's try.
Though maybe the frame can be changed a bit. It feels flat, but it looks as it's supposed to feel like an inlay or something.

Oh, and, good to have you around again, it's been a while :)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Glanru wrote:
The border has been one of those things that just never turned out how I had planned. Perhaps this change will look better:

Spoiler (click to show)
Matty wrote:
It's better, though I think it can still improve.
I'm not sure if it needs three layers :S