A map themed on US westward expansion.
  • 59 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
Matty wrote:
As I said in a previous post, I would like regions, because fixed or no card games wont make sense on this map otherwise.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Glanru wrote:
Still have not received enough comments regarding specifically if you think there should be, or are fine if there are no regions. Or, what the regions should be. Well, here is a graphical update under the idea of no regions. There are no maps currently that are region-less and I think this one could fill that niche.

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/Trails_4.jpg

All work that was not my own (still photographs) belong to the Public Domain.

Matty wrote:
If you go for no bonusses, than this map is almost done I think.
The water could be better, and so could the border of the painting, but its nice already.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Fendi wrote:
I like the idea of small regions, it would make an interesting game-play, especially 2p. But I am also starting to like where you are going with the region-less suggestion.

About the graphics, I like the extra touch with the with the photographs but if you are going with a region-less map then I'm afraid the different coloured regions might be too distracting, confusing and misleading. How about if you chose one colour for the background but kept the pictures as they are. As for the ocean, I like the previous version more.
Vexer wrote:
I'm indifferent about the ocean but I definitely want regions. If you take out regions then you limit the strategy to trying to get to 12 territories to get a +1. If you think about a capitals game where player A is able to take 4 territories on the first turn using troops from his capital and player B is surrounded by neutral, player A will get a +1 and be ahead the whole game. But if you have regions then player B can choose to go for a region instead and even things out.

In general I don't think it's a good idea to take away part of the strategy of the game. Is it even risk without regions?
Glanru wrote:
@Matty, I plan to fix the border lace before the final version.

@Fendi, One color would be problematic as I would have to spend hours toning the individual images to match each other for a consistent look. Additionally, I would have to spend at least half an hour finding that "perfect" color just to change it if I make lighting adjustments to the rest of the image.

Here is a possible method for displaying the regions. I have tried too many to recall, and I have not found a better method yet.

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/Trails_5.jpg
Cireon wrote:
What about having a small shadow/glow around the territory circles to display the region?
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Glanru wrote:
It would be difficult to tell for caps, with the white circle around the grey one. Also, I would have to figure out 10 colors that I can use that will be visible that are not the same as the 9 already in use for the circles themselves. I do not think there are enough suitable colors for that.
Holt wrote:
This map looks amazing and I believe if you used the lines underneath the territory circles like that it would work just fine. The thing people will have to understand when playing this map is that its not a "Beginner" type map. It's more of a veteran players map. One that wants to try out a wide variety of maps. Most of the new players that can not understand the map wont play it anyway they will more than likely just stick to what they know which is World Classic.
lifeinpixels wrote:
Well, take my words with a grain of salt since I'm just kind of popping into this thread, but I'm not a huge fan of the background image. It makes the map look too busy. Looks like the gameplay will be fun though, can't wait till it's available!
Fendi wrote:
That's a good solution to the region problem. I wonder though how the map would look like if the colours had a palish look to them. Anyway, this is one great looking map.
Thorpe wrote:
And what happened to this map? I was gone when this was going on...did it get dumped?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
Glanru hasn't come up with a solution that he is happy with to how to show you what the regions are.
Thorpe wrote:
Thx...I like the map.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next