Other Glanru maps in the process of being updated.
  • 14 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Glanru wrote:
I guess some people don't read every post in every thread. I get that. I skip most the posts that aren't in the Map Creation forum. So for those who aren't aware, I stated a while ago that I am going to be going over my 2011 made maps and either freshening them up, giving them a make over, or giving them an overhaul. I wanted to overhaul the house map, but due to a combination of people's impatience I have done a make over instead.

Projects on my table (in no particular order):
- Update #2 for House Map.
- Update Eld World.
- Complete USA overhaul. (I hate mountains, I am not very artistic.)
- Minor updates to Victron.
- Minor updates to make Africa territory boundaries and impassibles more clearly defined. (Africa is not my map, but I was going to help a little on it.)
- Unveil my work on a paper, rock, scissors themed map. (Work on the house map and failure to get reasonable mountains for USA overhaul has delayed this considerably.) I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.
- Oh, and if I ever find the time, I'll create a few tutorials about how to do basic things in map making. But, this is likely too big a project and I'll get side tracked by another map.

Anyway, short post long, here's a comparison of old and new. Let me know what you think about the new version, and please provide any comments that may allow me to further the improvement.

Old version: http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/House_map_v4_final.jpg

New version: http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/House_map_update1.jpg

Glanru wrote:
I can't seem to figure out what to do with the concrete area. I plan to look into that soon. Ideas would be appreciated.
Thorpe wrote:
What about doing the outside around the house like the Stadium Map has?
You can use concrete for the "garage" area with dark spots for oil. Use the one texture with the lines in it like you showed pntbttr.
Just a thought.
I like the mini map better! Easy to read and understand.
A lot of newbies don't get the hallways and doors...but mostly the hallways. Think of a new way to connect them maybe?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
Sorry make the concrete like the Stadiums concrete and then add different textures. All the same color.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Votazap wrote:
I think you should add some kind of fence going around most or all of the map.
Pntbttr wrote:
I think you should keep the grass just get a different grass texture....I feel like the grass looked really fake. I think you should add a rock path from the driveway to the Gazebo and lounge. I think the hall ways are great at the moment but you could try making it look like a red carpet or something. I also think the Hot tub should be round. I think you should change the light blue next to the the outside region because they are to similar. I think the garden should just have a grey border that looks like bricks or something and put flowers in the garden (I never noticed the garden was just a grey blob).

I think you should add a little more detail (this might be really hard but I think it would improve the map greatly) like have one thing in each room like beds in the bedrooms a sink and toilet in each bathroom a table in the dining room......

I think you should change a lot of the textures.....
Glanru wrote:
Regarding suggestions: This update is for small changes to ensure the map is of a reasonable quality. Some of these suggestions are great. Some, I may be able to implement now. I'll definitely refer back to this thread when I make the next update; I plan to make more significant changes later. If possible, I want to use some 3d software and actually create a hot tub, gazebo, tree house, shed, landscaping etc. But, please keep putting ideas in here. The more ideas I have, the more time I can spend making the map better, and less time on coming up with the ideas.

Regarding the doors: It is obvious that this is a house map based on the territory names. Houses clearly have walls, people cannot walk through walls. The walls were even changed from thick dull lines to a very basic faux 3d look. Additionally, these walls have breaks in them. I guess I don't understand where the confusion is for the doorways, people walk through doorways in houses. 

Regarding the hallways: Text has been added to explain that rooms on the same hallway can attack each other. There are a few unlabeled areas inside the house which are too narrow to be a room, and extend over a large enough area to be a hallway. If it was important enough for the text to be added, it seems like it would be prudent for someone to look at the map and figure out where the hallways are. Additionally, when asking my 4 year old nephew: he could find the kitchen, bathrooms, the driveway, the pool, and the hallways. (Note: Even though he can't read them yet, I did turn off the text for him.)
Glanru wrote:
I swapped the colors from the entertainment section and master section. I also changed the font and increased the font size of the message about the hallways. I added a background for that message, the same color as hallways. I think this may make it less confusing? I decided to scrap the concrete for the side yard for the time being.

http://home.comcast.net/~bob.battle.scar/Images/House_map_update1_1.jpg
Thorpe wrote:
maybe make the hallways red ?  They want to know what the hallway color is and where.
1. Make hallway different color and not grey.
2. Put color bar in the description of the "Hallways ...can...attack"

nice look so-far...maybe different color , not white, for the sections
Glanru wrote:
I think my last update is going to be how it stays until I have more time to redo the map. When I redo the map, the connections will remain the same, but the look and feel of the map will be completely redone. This will probably be the last thing on my list of things to do.

Until that time, I am still more than open to hearing suggestions.
Pntbttr wrote:
every time I look at the map I notice that the driveway just ends in the middle of no where! It is really annoying...so I would like it if you made it go to the edge of the picture. Also I still can't stand the fact that the house is surounded by dirt...I don't know anybody with a yard that is just dirt...I really think you should add grass...the last grass you had looked kinda weird though...I think it was to bright green, it made it look really fake

These are my thoughts on some of the territories:
The Garden has to have something in it other than pavement...I mean who has a garden of pavement??? I think you should just do a grey ring or something like little decorative bricks going around a bed of flowers or something...
The Hot tub...there is no hot tub...it's just a square...I think you should add some water or something...
the Kitchen...I don't really like the texture but thats just me...I think you should do a diagonal tile instead of the round one

I am not really sure how to make the rest better...I think you could add some small but diffifult detail but that might be really hard to do...example a couch against the wall in the living room, family room or lounge...a bed in the bed rooms...a table in the dining room...a bar in the bar...a desk in the office and a bike/car in the garage...a ping-pong table in the game room...that kinda stuff...hard but would improve the map a ton...
Glanru wrote:
Thanks Pntbttr. I won't be making any more changes to this map for a while, but I will definitely re-read these comments and any that others have when I overhaul it. Please feel free to leave any additional comments, they are welcome.
The_Bishop wrote:
Funny map, but after played 3 or 4 times it becomes a bit boring.

Plus it's unrealistic, who will never buy such a large house all on one floor? And how can you store dozens of troops in the storage? Just questions.

To be serious, there is one cap' in a dead-end that is Bedroom 2, not very good for 4 and 5 players because everybody push in Play Area and it alters the distances.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
I enjoy playing this map as a 4 player game with the 'No Cards' option in the game set up.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."