Holy Roman Empire in the year 843
  • 51 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
bridges and mountains draft (click to show)

I think now the main things are

1. How do I make regions more defensible? Some I feel are a bit too open but im not sure how to fix that using natural borders. I could also just up the bonus but im not sure.

2. Graphics, I'll need a more experienced cartographers input on those.

3. Do I have enough or too little of the alps AND are all the bridges in the right spot(not sure on the most eastern purple region.)
Eat my dust.
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
I do think that the calculator may not work as well for this map, I'll need to think about the super regions I was talking about.

Do you think 3 super regions is too few? It may be...
Eat my dust.
The_Bishop wrote:
I think 3 superregions are fine. Especially because it's the historical split occurred in that year.

I suggest to include also the white area but to not give it any superbonus bcoz it wasn't part of the Empire. Just an idea.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
Sorry for so many posts but I added some more rivers that might help the problem(pretty accurate overall)

more rivers (click to show)

does anyone have any suggestions for sites to use to make it look nicer?
Eat my dust.
The_Bishop wrote:
The last question makes me wonder if you have the 'graphic skills' Hippo or you haven't.
I can't help much because I struggle myself. It's a hard job that can take years -- to me -- for making just one map.
You should use a program like Photoshop, or Gimp, or Paintnet and remember the standard size for a map is 1024 px wide.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
The_Bishop
The last question makes me wonder if you have the 'graphic skills' Hippo or you haven't.
I can't help much because I struggle myself. It's a hard job that can take years -- to me -- for making just one map.
You should use a program like Photoshop, or Gimp, or Paintnet and remember the standard size for a map is 1024 px wide.

I don't have the skills no. Could I develop them? Yes. Could I also ask hood for help, because he's really good at that stuff? Yes.
Eat my dust.
Matty wrote:
Can you walk from one end of the white region to the other, without going through other regions? If not, why is it one region? or why does it not have a bridge there?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
The white region is still up for debate whether it should exist or be grayed out. If you have any thoughts I would love to hear them!
Eat my dust.
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
Bonuses Draft (click to show)

Super Regions without bonuses (click to show)

So the Red, Purple, and Pink regions are the super regions. I'm not sure how much of a bonus to give them given the bonuses, I would love some input on both Super bonuses and regular bonuses

Territories, Rivers, Mountains, Bridges, Regions (click to show)

Some of the super small territories I got rid of and combined with other territories, so this is a bit different than the last post.
Eat my dust.
Cireon wrote:
Super regions don't necessarily need to have their own bonuses. The way to make super regions viable is to make it so that if you control all regions in the super region, there are only a few borders to the outside. That means that the regions may have a lot of internal bonuses to each other, but not necessarily to the outside. For example, on the World Expanded map, South America is three different regions, each individually not super great, but if you get all of them together, there's only 3 borders to defend, for a whopping +5 bonus! Australia is not a great region, nor is Indonesia, but those two together with China, Vietnam, and Taiwan create another region with 3 borders for a +6 bonus! So by making sure these bottlenecks exist in the map, you could make super regions without needing additional bonuses.

Of course, you could also have super regions with bonuses, but then it's largely a cosmetic bonus to represent a historical state of things. Could lead to some nice strategy, but it will likely not be gameplay defining for the map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
I think it would be too hard without any oceans... there would be alot of land blocks, but it's something to keep in mind.
Eat my dust.
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
Cireon
Super regions don't necessarily need to have their own bonuses. The way to make super regions viable is to make it so that if you control all regions in the super region, there are only a few borders to the outside. That means that the regions may have a lot of internal bonuses to each other, but not necessarily to the outside. For example, on the World Expanded map, South America is three different regions, each individually not super great, but if you get all of them together, there's only 3 borders to defend, for a whopping +5 bonus! Australia is not a great region, nor is Indonesia, but those two together with China, Vietnam, and Taiwan create another region with 3 borders for a +6 bonus! So by making sure these bottlenecks exist in the map, you could make super regions without needing additional bonuses.

Of course, you could also have super regions with bonuses, but then it's largely a cosmetic bonus to represent a historical state of things. Could lead to some nice strategy, but it will likely not be gameplay defining for the map.

I've been thinking a lot about this, would a set up like this be better? I think there are only like 4 entries to each super region or so.

Spoiler (click to show)
Eat my dust.
Matty wrote:
First thing that I notice: that one green territory is blocking entry into Italy. Am I correct? If so, capital players that accidentally have that territory are in a bad position.
Or is there an entry into Italy on the right as well?

Also that top right yellow region has only 1 border, which is a bit OP I think.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria