• 71 posts
  • Page 3 of 5
kwikool wrote:
i think the regional bonuses are still off.... 

i think they should be by number of territories and number of territories you need to defend  look at europe and middle east  not the same exposure to defense  but same bonus

i put these in order of no of countries and no of defending countries

region                   no of countries    # defending countries          bonus        suggested bonus
central Africa                 8                               7                             5                       6
ivory coast                    7                               5                            4                       5
south Africa                  7                               3                             4                        4
europe                          6                              4                             3                        4
congo                         6                               4                            4                        4
north Africa                  5                              4                             4                        3
west Africa Somalia        5                              4                             3                       3
middle east                   5                               3                             3                       2
madagascar                  3                               2                              2                       1

just my thinking 

God_of_War wrote:
I think the regions are just simply too large. The problem with playing Zealandia is that region bonus is near impossible, and that is where is is nearly heading too IMO.
Hi there!
kwikool wrote:
maybe worth splitting up the two largest ones into two and make them 2 and 3s
Hoodlum wrote:
Before i changed it to Matty's suggestion, i just follow the sites bonus formula, which i have made a calculator for.
http://tournament.x10host.com/bonuscalculator.html  is it the same as yours?

i'll take a look at your suggestions when i get some time/motivation to look at it again. thanks for the feedback
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
vikingo1337 wrote:
How about that border between Switzerland and Austria-Hungary? It would be more historically correct. :-)
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
Matty wrote:
So the differences between kwikool's suggestions and mine are:

Region# countries# bordersKwikool's suggestionsMatty's old suggestionsMatty's new suggestions
Europe64444
Middle east53243
North Africa54354
Central Africa87666
East Africa Somalia54343
Ivory coast75555
Congo64454
Madagascar32122
South Africa73454

After some thinking I agree with most of his suggestions. I would like to keep the Madagascar region on 2, North Afrika on 3 and Middle east on 3 though, as the regions on this map in general are quite hard to conquer and defend early on. So erring on the high side is a good thing IMO.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Ongongololo wrote:
Really cool! I'll be glad to have a new Africa map. Is this supposed to be a particular time period? Some of the names don't seem congruent with one another.
Hoodlum wrote:
been a while since i revisited this map. haven't been interested in map making lately.. i think i ended up with a 1908 time frame that made it consistent with the names chosen.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
I liked this version:
Hoodlum
revisiting this project. latest changes are some consistency with time frame..i had changed them a while ago, but forgot to post. i think the time period if i recall, was like 1908

latest edit (click to show)
100%
With some graphics to fix spotted by dough_boy

In the next version Hood, you fixed the graphics but also restored the old text with:
the wrong 'Rio De Oro', more correct is 'Rio de Oro' with the lowercase 'd', and
'Africa + Southern Europe + M.East' which I think is nicer as 'Africa, Southern Europe, Middle East.' (without 'and' ).
Hoodlum
fixed up those thicker territory lines spotted by dough.
region bonuses amended to Matty suggestions
updated (click to show)

100% view

'Ubangisharghi' is still wrong. The correct name is Ubangi-Shari

Please Hoodlum, put the bonuses you think are the most suitable, or just use the standard formula. We can still adjust them a little bit during the beta-test in case we realize they don't work properly.

EDIT: I've just checked the current region names are:
Asia Minor 4
Central Africa 5
East Africa 2
Europe 4
Horn of Africa 4
North Africa 5
Sahara 6
South Africa 5
West Africa 5
I would prefer Sahel instead of Sahara and Middle East instead of Asia Minor, all the others are fine for me.
The current bonuses seems too high tough.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
The_Bishop wrote:
This map has been waiting for more than one years.
Region names can be easily changed in the system (as for my suggestion) but they are not much important.
Bonus changes require a graphic job and it can also be done relatively easily having the two flat images with the options.
The_Bishop wrote:
No sorry I rectify, I would like to but I can't edit it without Hoodlum's file. I would be tempted to test the map as it is but bonuses looks too high. Especially North Africa region should be worth not more than 3 troops imo.

I appreciate the discussion on the bonuses and I would like to share my proposal, comparing it with the previous ones and with the 'standard Vexer's formula'. So I present a new tab below. The regions follow the same order as in Matty's tab, I have just fixed the region names as they are in the cartographic panel.

Region name ...terr...bord...standard-V...Hoodlum's...Kwikool's...Matty's-1...Matty's-2...Bishop's
Europe643.60+3+4+4+4+4
Asia Minor532.87+3+2+4+3+3
North Africa543.27+4+3+5+4+3
Sahara875.47+5+6+6+6+5
Horn of Africa543.27+3+3+4+3+3
West Africa754.33+4+5+5+5+4
Central Africa643.60+4+4+5+4+4
East Africa321.80+2+1+2+2+1
South Africa733.53+4+4+5+4+4
(total bonuses)....(31.74)(32)(32)(40)(35)(31)
I like also Kwikool's proposal, I think there is the correct balance between small and large regions. However I see the largest region here more like a transit area than a bonus area, so even a lower bonus is fine, either +5 or +6, it doesn't change much.
Matty wrote:
The Europe region on the world classic map, has 7 territories, 4 borders, and is one of the harder ones to defend, and few people think it's worth getting. Why would you want to give West Africa, which has 7 territories and 5 borders only a +4 bonus?

Sahara should have the bonus of West Africa + 1.

I'm fine with giving East Africa a +1 bonus. It's very low, but given the fact that other regions are hard to get and defend maybe that's a good thing.

A +3 bonus for North Africa here is again very low IMO. However, given that it forms a really good super region with Europe (and maybe the Middle East too) I could see you trying to nerf that combination a bit.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Matty
The Europe region on the world classic map, has 7 territories, 4 borders, and is one of the harder ones to defend, and few people think it's worth getting. Why would you want to give West Africa, which has 7 territories and 5 borders only a +4 bonus?
Well, that's another map, I'm not comparing regions from different maps if there are no similarities between the two of them.
West Africa at +4 is a bit low, at +5 is a bit high, there's no compromise in between. I prefer +4 because, if West Africa is worth +5, then Sahara for comparison has to be 6 or 7 and all the bonuses become too high.

Matty
Sahara should have the bonus of West Africa + 1.
I'm fine with this.

Matty
A +3 bonus for North Africa here is again very low IMO. However, given that it forms a really good super region with Europe (and maybe the Middle East too) I could see you trying to nerf that combination a bit.
Exactly! I mean, I think it's quite standard in the Dominating12 maps when you find a region with 5 territories 4 borders the bonus is +3. Keeping into account the possible super formations it's better to keep it at +3, not greater.