• 71 posts
  • Page 2 of 5
vikingo1337 wrote:
edit labels and stuff >BF (click to show)
100% view

One more thing: Saudi Arabia was founded in 1932. The Russian Empire and Austria-Hungary fell apart in 1917 and 1918, respectively. Era?
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
vikingo1337 wrote:
Aaaand another detail: "W .Sahara" should probably be "W. Sahara". :-)

I'll shut up now.
~Fafnismal 28
aeronautic wrote:
Everyone's feedback and opinion is welcome and appreciated, however, we don't all share the same opinions, so I'll say that I'm fine with the tip of South Africa almost touching the bottom of the frame. For me it gives the correct perceived angle of elevation.

Beside liking most things on this map, I particularly like your Sea Labels..... that's how they should look on maps.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
thanks for the feedback. i do see what you mean viking, i believe i did have it originally with more sea, but i wanted to make it as less scrolly as possible, it's even a fine line at the top of the map with russian empire / austria-hungary. it would be a hard edit to revert back to, as i don't think i saved it.
good eye with the w. sahara label.
i found the original reference, and im not sure how consistent it is with land names and timeline. but i think it's meant to be close to 1900 from some quick research where russian empire / austria hungary existed.
the reference did have saudi arabia but arabia (maafi's suggestion) seems to fit the timeline better.
here is a different edit of land labels, according to the original reference used.

Spoiler (click to show)
100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
vikingo1337
I'll shut up now.
Please don't, eye for details is what makes a good map into a really good map.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
vikingo1337 wrote:
Well, in that case I do have more to add. :-)

There should probably be a border between Switzerland and Austria-Hungary if we're aiming for historical accuracy. The former was never a part of the A-H Empire.

On that note, here's a map of Europe anno 1900:

https://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/1900/entity_5666.html

Note that, among other things, Italy also looks different. The alpine regions in the north of the country, which were in the hands of the A-H Empire at the time, were given to Italy after WW1, as they were on the winning side (Team Entente).
~Fafnismal 28
aeronautic wrote:
It was fascinating to click between centuries on the above link and see the changes in Europe.
(Not at all relevant) Germany was not Germany at all until the 20th Century, it was a mass of small states. Poland changed so much, from huge to nothing and back again and its borders and positioning changed so much. It's also amazing how most of the modern languages, such as French & German weren't the majority language in the states that now make up their countries.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
I noticed a couple of misspelling:
Rio de Oro with lowercase 'd' and
Ubangi-Shari (French: Oubangui-Chari)
was a colony established in 1903 then renamed the Central African Republic in 1958.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
farspaceplace wrote:
Hence the lyrics in the german national anthem: Deustchland Deustchland uber alles...Not a reference to some kind of white power supremecy, but to the unification of all the small territories to a real nation.
As far as i know.
The_Bishop wrote:
I suggested to shorten 'Austro-Hungarian Empire' as 'Austria-Hungary' when the text had varied sizes, now it's all the same (all small) so I think it could be restored to the original name, being more cool and making the pair with 'Russian Empire'.

As for the subtitle 'Africa + Southern Europe + M.East' I don't really like how Middle East has been shortened, I think it should be in full letters, and maybe change the plus signs with commas and dot:
'Africa, Southern Europe and Middle East.' Or just remove it completly if it is not necessary or not looking nice.

Historical accuracy could be important or even not, I don't know, some small cheats is acceptable like in all Risk maps, but yes, nice call from Maafi: A.H. Empire and Saudi Arabia never co-existed (already fixed ok). Someone suggested to check a map of 1900 AD Europe, but I think this map is a bit more recent, like 1910 or 1915, in any case before WWI so I don't know... All country names and borders should be checked to belong to the same age (it requires researches) but I think a small incosistence of 2 or 3 years is acceptable, possibly not more: since we are refferring to a relatevely recent period, we should be able to be quite accurate. Switzerland can be merged into a larger country, I think it's fine.

Misspellings must be avoided and I found 2 which I reported above.

Mountains are quite fairly placed where mountains are in reality, but it's evident that they have been adjusted to perfectly follow country borders, not great in my opinion. Maybe I'd remove some of them, giving a bit more connectivity -- still keeping regions defensible -- and also add a few mounts -- even useless -- just to give more realistic shapes to the mountain ranges. In some cases could be better to adjust the countries to the mountains instead of the opposite. In the North, between Sub-Saharian region and North Africa region a large area of impassable desert could be created, just realistic (those mountains really already look a bit like Saharian sand banks, I don't know if it is on purpose). :)

Just my thought, I hope there are some good suggestions for making improvements, if not so, feel free to ignore it.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
revisiting this project. latest changes are some consistency with time frame..i had changed them a while ago, but forgot to post. i think the time period if i recall, was like 1908

latest edit (click to show)
100%
dough_boy wrote:
Looks good. A few comments.

1. The mountains between Sudan and Abyssinia have a black line to the right of them towards the bottom. Could be removed. If this is part of the mountains it makes it look like a border.
2. The border between Namibia and Bech... looks double wide for part of it.
3. The border between Chad and Sudan appears to be double as well.
Hoodlum wrote:
good eye with the territory lines that look as thicker. i might have had it as a border in an earlier edit. normally i notice these things, but i'm usually focusing on parts of the map when doing edits. i think it must be a mountain thing with the other thing mentioned., i thought i saw a stray black line, but when i zooomed in, it was part of the mountains. can u circle the area u are talking about.
Matty wrote:
Apparently I haven't commented on this map yet. I do that a bit less nowadays, but this map definitely deserves a look.

First off, it looks really good. Hats off.

All the region bonusses are very low, except for the Mozambique one (lets call it TMM). You could up one all the regions (except TMM). But maybe remove one from TMM instead so that all regions have a low bonus? Not sure.

Very few regions are defendable anyways, it's probably the best strategy here to just ignore them. Maybe take TMM or the Kenya region if you have a good drop. But other then that, nah.

The 2020 in the bottom is a lie by now I think xD
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
fixed up those thicker territory lines spotted by dough.
region bonuses amended to Matty suggestions
updated (click to show)

100% view