• 49 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
benmarcp wrote:
I think that France would be a WONDERFUL map to play on, but I agree it should be more defendable
:roll:
ProblemChild96 wrote:
Not all maps need to be easy to defend on, maps with different play types only help increase variety of gameplay.

I have enjoyed the test games ive been playing on it so far and I believe Hoodlum will produce a quality end product as usual.
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
Hoodlum wrote:
i'm enjoying drawing this one, but actually really liking the open gameplay as is, with the testing games. can add ya to a test game if you have time and like to try matty.
i think it'd make a good assassination map
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
Haha, you are absolutely welcome to try it out. I'm just pointing out that there is a thing that's usually considered a problem that might be hard to fix.

And no, I won't be playing right now, currently a bit busy, though eventually I'll try this one out I guess.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
@The_Bishop
yup i see the image now. i saw that image when i googled L'Hexagon, and then i had the idea to do the minimap that way.

ty for going through the spelling, i was hoping someone would. i will add accents to the map, but not through the system for gamelog.
the reference for place names were from the same source so i thought it was odd that some had dashes and others didn't, i assumed it must be so left it for someone to tell me different :)
Hoodlum wrote:
ok. label names have changed including accents and dashes and misspells. i've also added the change in the system without the accents, so keep an eye out for human error.

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

btw, Axo is experiencing some bugs since a coding change, he is unable to take his turns in these test games, so i've extended the timer in games that are his turn, for Cireon/Matty to check out.
Hoodlum wrote:
Gameplay edit. more usable convenient ranges and rivers to make another defensive region and balance overall

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

defensive play - 2&3 border region defence + super regions

previous
[image]

new
[image]
The_Bishop wrote:
Well, the human error here is mine, because I forgot to include Isère in the list, if you can add that last accent please... I'll check also region names in the carto-panel. Also keep an eye at Haute-Marne territory tag, it looks like the last letter got partially erased.

From a game tests point of view the regions don't seem to be hard to defend, and the games are approching the mid-game in a pretty standard way. This map has 13 non-bordering territories (out of 91), World Expanded has 15 (out of 91), not a great difference. The game-play is resulting beeing very good, at least from my personal view. In any case, counting the non-bordering territories is not a very significant parameter for defining the defensibility of a map regions: in the first "French map-dabbling" by Hoodlum for example there were 23 non-bordering territories out of 90, but the regions were harder to defend, not easier. We must consider all the architecture of the map as a whole for doing a good evaluation. I agree to invite the skeptics in some game tests so that they can get a more accurate idea.

I would possibly give priority to this map rather than "Zealandia 20200" or "North Atlantic" (Vikings) because in those cases we really have to think more about game-play, but in this case we don't need much. I think it is nice to have a map of France for 2 reasons:
  • it is where the game "La Conquête du Monde" (the conquest of the world) was born, later re-named as "Risk" in the United States;
  • it is fair with the French users, because in ALL DominatingTwelve maps Corsica seems to be part of Italy, while actually belong to France.

EDIT: The map has changed during my commenting. Of course the super-regions should be kept into account when we speak about defensibility. Hoodlum probably you are going too far now with rivers and mountains, this is not open game-play anymore. I will comment better the new version later, or we will talk by Pm. Not much time right now, sorry.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
ya, i think the extra mountains are too much. but they are optional locations for gameplay if it's needed.
i have a preference to keep the pyrenese range and the little gironde river. the others close it up a bit

dough_boy wrote:
I was like what happened. Now since most of my play has been in the south region it freed up dozens of troops.
Hoodlum wrote:
lol sorry. since they are test games i was just keeping them going, rather than stop and start. ill stick to this new edit thats now input..and just do the edits on my paint program if there are any future gameplay ones..

latest version.. less mountains, more open play, branched off loir river deleted

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

aeronautic wrote:
Matty
The mountains make 3 territories not be borders anymore. All the rivers make 4 territories not be borders anymore.
It's a lot more than 4 since the rivers were added.
Check again and you have to consider both sides of the river, one territory bordering two territories even those with bridges that now don't connect to previously bordered territories.
I'm seeing 17 previous adjacencies now not adjacent, just from the rivers being added.

This was an applicable post to the previous page.

I see now that Hood has since placed alternative rivers.

With the latest edit, I see 21 now non adjacent from the riverless map.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I like the Hexagon around the main part of the mini-map, but I don't think we can have Corsica outside it, it's not intuitive.
Just continue the white lines around it in angular shapes to make it an appendage to the hexagon.
[image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
aeronautic
I'm seeing 17 previous adjacencies now not adjacent, just from the rivers being added.
Yup, but a lot of these territories may have less adjacencies, but they are still a bordering some territories from other regions. So if you want to hold the region that now has a river, you still need to fortify the same amount of territories most of the time.

The way I play this is not a good map for me. To me this seems like a lot of open space that no one will really want to hold.
Of course, once you start getting multiple regions it evens out again - at this point the rivers and mountains really do help. But the initial game is really hard and has a slow buildup because so many troops are tied up defending your region rather then taking your next. For increasing card games, this means you don't really have the time to go for a region.

To me (I haven't played) this removes a lot of early postering from a game. And it also seems to reward lucky starts. I don't really like gameplay like this. But maybe others enjoy this.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:

Nice map and colors are nice too
“Vital lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel delight until you play, can't know serendipity unless you risk.”