Guide to map making
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
4myGod wrote:
As some of you might already know, you can get 1 year free premium if you create a map.

For those of you interested, you can use photoshop or other programs, I'm still trying to figure out what program is best.

The map has to be graphically appealing, you can always post it and ask for advice. Making a map is as simple as making an image... that's it, I will do everything from there. Find the territories you want and make it clear on the map.

Here is a cool website that might help with tutorials:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/
4myGod wrote:
A bit of a beginners guide:

When I created the Africa map. I first figured out how I want the territories to be connected and what to look like, using photoshop I made an image like this:

[img]http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5570/tersetup.th.jpg[/img]

This way I can look at it and figure out "is this going to be fun to play on?"

People want the map to be fairly even, some tough to get sets and some easy to get sets. So try to play out the map in your own head, considering randomly dropped territories, and think "is this fun?." If not you can change it. You can add mountains or rivers or something to block certain routes.

When you are done planning the territory setup, now you just need to put it to graphics. You need to make it clear so people know where 1 territory ends and another begins, they also want to be able to clearly see which territories connect to each other. Also where does 1 set stop and another set begin.

When figuring out how to graphically produce the map, it's best to come up with a sort of theme. Try to think what theme you are trying to make people feel. For the Africa map I wanted people to FEEL Africa, so I went and looked at pictures of Africa and tried to get into it. Consider things like:

- Do I want it bright? or dull? (Sometimes dull adds to the feel)
- Do I want an old looking map? or new?
- What colors do I want (ie. Tropical maps might have tropical colors)

Programs
There are 2 good programs, photoshop and illustrator, you can get them both free by stealing them online or you can purchase them. The difference between them is photoshop offers raster graphics... which is a pixel my pixel image, each pixel has a color and it just displays many pixels, this means when you stretch the image to make it bigger when it was small, it will show big squares or choppy looking ugly graphics. Then there is vector, now vector is like mathematical equations which display your image. So when you increase or decrease things the math is increased or decreased, so the object always looks clear even when enlarged. However this has limitations on what you can make. I see some of the best map makers might go back and forth between the 2 programs. Maybe start doing borders of territories in photoshop then import them to illustrator to make a vector version which they can easily manipulate. All my maps were made with only photoshop.

Colors
There are some shades of colors that just don't go together. Here is a good website that finds the shades of the different colors that go together:
http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html

If you have any questions about making maps, post them in this area and I will answer them, if you have photoshop questions or anything, just go ahead and post it. I'm certainly not the best map maker there is, but I will do my best to help you guys, I look forward to playing on your maps.
FallenAngel wrote:
I have a question im interested in making maps and im really good with photoshop so what am i supposed to do?
4myGod wrote:
There are no real requirements. It needs to look good so it fits into our site. That shouldn't be a problem since you say you are skilled with photography. It also needs to have territories and sets of territories, just like the other maps. It needs to be fun.

Pretty much make something you want to play on, then post it on the forums and the members can give feedback.
Dsds7292 wrote:
Could someone work on an Aisa map. I think this woud be awesome!
Dsds7292 wrote:
I can't make it, not knowing what photoshop is and having to do school work 5 days a week.
Vexer wrote:
Here's one bit of addendum to what 4myGod said: for the sake of the site's reputation of being professional, we have to have professional looking maps. We won't add any maps that are poorly designed or are cheesy looking.

Maps should have regions, territory connections and a theme. If you are able to work out the regions and territory connections in a diagram but don't have the skills to make it look professional or have trouble coming up with a theme, post it in the forums anyway. If the map looks interesting then we can find someone to help make it pretty. 

The hardest part of making a map, believe it or not, is not the artistic part. The hardest part is making the map have unique and fun game play. A map can be absolutely gorgeous and be no fun to play at all.

One other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes a heavily themed map can limit options for game play. Some themes just don't end up working out. You can always default to a continents-world map theme if you can't find a new theme that fits the regions and connections you want to make.