Possibly time to update graphics?
  • 46 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
Hoodlum wrote:
harder to do than i thought. giving it some balance, and placement.
i didn't want to particularly leave a state out, so went general with americana stuff for regions, rather than state stuff, although some of it is deliberate placement,.

latest additions. cowboy, hollywood..statue of liberty..the great seal,..abe lincoln..

Post# 16 (click to show)

100% view
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
aeronautic wrote:
That's a marked improvement to the texture of the map.
It wouldn't hurt to have a few other USA iconic images to fill in the gaps and have an ongoing question of "how many images can YOU find in the background"... don't say here.
Perhaps things like Mickey Mouse, Charlie Chaplain, Moon Capsule, General Custer, Quakers, Robert E Lee, Ulysses S Grant, Buffalo, Grand Canyon, etc.
BTW this is just an idea, if anyone thinks it is not good for the map, please say?

They are background images so they should not be instantly recognisable, but some images are modern and so should force the map to be a modern history conflict theme.
The problem with conflict themes on mainland USA is that, apart from a few small battles during the war of independence and a civil war, all pre 1900, there has been no significant modern conflict in this map region apart from terrorist attacks, the odd balloon bomb from Japan and the odd German submarine attack off it's coast.
On that note, it might be better to just have pre 20th Century images and let the players imagine the theme for themselves, be it the Great Expansion, the War of Independence, the Civil War or the Civil Rights Conflicts.

Can you please put a darker glow behind the labels on the white region?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
labels on white region darker. filling in texture gaps
spot that texture! (click to show)

100% view
Cireon wrote:
While I understand the movement towards more textures, I think I dislike the new version. The version with only a few textures worked better for me. When there weren't a lot of textures, the textures stood out. Now it's a mismatch of textures, and it makes the map busy and doesn't really give a lot of value to the individual textures. Just my two cents.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Matty wrote:
I kinda agree with aeronautic that the version without all the other background images looks a bit bland and empty.
However, now it's way too crowded, and I'm very unsure what HOLLYWOOD does in a wild-west themed map.

So far I like this one best: http://oi65.tinypic.com/epkxtg.jpg
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
i like that version also..I don't mind it simple though. The figures and flag used, represent a nice American perspective to me.
aeronautic wrote:
Core Blimey Matty, that place you uploaded the image is bad, the free webspace comes at a cost. It showed me the image for 5 seconds, then auto linked away and tried to get me to download McAfee Anti Virus, then clicking Back didn't display the image and it auto linked to another advert page.

I agree with you all, the idea to fill the texture with lots of iconic USA images was too much.

I would prefer that the images don't attract the eye and don't ruin any perceived battle theme, so keep it as the previous version.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
(click to show)
100% view

Compass was wrong on other edits..

Perhaps some region labels fills up the lack of texture. Would mean, changing the current region names that are inputted, but that's simple to do. Currently the region names are:

Central
Great Lakes - East
Great Lakes - West
Northeast
South
Southeast
West
Wy-Mon-Dakota
Thorpe wrote:
Nope still to busy.
Maybe just a grass texture in Texas but just real faint and remove the names and then just put other faint textures in the blank spots
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Hoodlum wrote:
Texture edit - deleted a dark textured film over the colours that was making it hard to put new textures over it - so, the colours are in it's original state made. added some brush strokes. diagonals, noise and stuff..
previous version (click to show)

Post#24a no region labels (click to show)

Post#24 edit smaller region labels (click to show)

100% view
Thorpe wrote:
Try to highlight the regions background with a light white... I think the smaller ones work better. Just do not make them to bright Same with Mississippi.
Move the name "mountains" to the right, maybe touching the border ? (not sure though). I think that Montana needs to be played with ...the name moved ... something is not right with the look ...circle and name maybe switched?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
aeronautic wrote:
You are going down the wrong path with Region Names on the main map.
There should only be territory labels there with the odd exception of an important river name or historic site.

Don't over think this, the idea of some USA images in the background was good and we discovered that adding too many of different types & sizes just looked cluttered and not right.
Why not just add a tiny bit of texture to the whole USA as well as keeping the existing background images.
Hoodlum wrote:
region labels scrapped. texture added

Spoiler (click to show)

100%
dough_boy wrote:
Curious why CA is split, yet other N/S states are combined? This have to do with number of territories and if it was fixed the right way how many off would we be?
Cireon wrote:
dough_boy
Curious why CA is split, yet other N/S states are combined? This have to do with number of territories and if it was fixed the right way how many off would we be?
Gameplay gameplay gameplay gameplay
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card