Possibly time to update graphics?
  • 46 posts
  • Page 1 of 4
Glanru wrote:
When my brother first introduced me to this site in 2010, there were only four maps. The original USA map was one of those maps. I owned Photoshop and figured it was worth trying my hand at adding in some more. I gave a lot of input during the first few maps others did. I also helped my brother slightly with a couple maps. Unfortunately, my first three maps, Eld World, the House Map, and Victron, all had to be redone or receive significant changes almost immediately due to poor quality.

I'm not sure how many people actually remember the original USA map, but after a while it needed to be replaced. At the time there were few people working on the maps and the skill level was not where it is today. Although I stand by the work I did in 2012 on the new United States map, I do wish I had taken some more time on it. It is the only map I was not able to complete by myself, hence the credit of the mountains to LizoLB. Although I haven't been active on this site in some time, I did come back long enough to update Victron and Eld World again back in 2014-2015. I am now satisfied with my work on those two maps.

So I was thinking that maybe it was time for an update and maybe someone else should have a go at the United States map. Although I am not sure if anyone else would have had the passion to update my made-up maps, I believe there has to be someone here with a passion for the United States map. I also know there are more talented individuals on this site than I am and some of the maps that have come out just astound me at how good they look. Keep in mind by update I mean graphically. We spent much time considering the game play and I believe there are only so many options available given the location, size, and borders of the states. I know, I can still imagine someone mumbling under their breath because their state was paired with another or because California was split in half for game play.

If you all decide on an update, I still have all my original Photoshop files including all the paths. I would freely share those files. Of course you could also redo the map from the ground up, but I know that I hated the process of creating the paths.
Cireon wrote:
I would also love an update of the house map, because I've had so much fun playing it. But yes, I support this!
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Hoodlum wrote:
I support the update. game play is very popular choice for 1v1 games It's always in the top 4 maps played.
This is what the old usa map looked like if anyone is curious,
original usa map (click to show)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Glanru wrote:
@Cireon I would be fine if anyone else wanted to tackle a House Map update. I personally don't want to go through that again, it never really turned out how I had envisioned it. The old version was so bad I deleted the original files. All I have of that is the 2012 updated version that is currently live. I even kept the original Eld World files and the Rock Paper Scissors trial map that eventually, and thank goodness, got transformed into Europe 1814. So yeah, the original house files were that bad.
Hoodlum wrote:
I had a play around with the USA map
Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
aeronautic wrote:
That's a nice variation of Glanru's map Hood.
I'm not sure if we considered upgrading this map, but that sure is a nice upgrade, as it is already a nice & familiar map.

I think it would be better if you used Glanru's darker sea colour, then the land/sea effect would also work better.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Dark sea edit.
dark sea edit (click to show)

100% view

Info: width 1024 + 640 (vertically shorter than original & zoomed in more on the gameplay area)
America culture, image silhouttes = American Indian warrior, Martin Luther King & George Washington. Waving american flag. Alaska & Hawaii
Colour scheme is a researched American Indian inspired palette. red white blue was accidental but i like how it fits in there.
aeronautic wrote:
current usa map (click to show)
dark sea edit (click to show)
100% view
I would edit the Mass. & Conn.& R.I. label to a simpler Mass, Conn & RI

Perhaps you could demo it with the Circles on, so that we can see what labels can be edited / un-abbreviated.

On both versions, I don't see the point in Virginia going through part of the Maryland & Delaware peninsula.

I am glad to see the 4 corners confusion resolved at the intersection of "Utah, Colorado, Arizona & New Mexico".
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
Yeah, there are some I thought i could edit, but i left it as is to start with.

circle demo (click to show)

circle demo 100% view

Tennessee - Pennsylvania - can fit, and probably North Califronia & South California
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Hood.

I have been editing my last post as I was discovering things, so there may be a couple of things there that you have missed.
aeronautic wrote:
I'm not sure if Tennessee can be un-abbreviated?

I never saw the point of Full Stops in Nouns, when gaps should be enough to emphasise an abbreviation.
For example; N. & S. Dakota would look better and be just as understood as N & S Dakota.
Hoodlum wrote:
got rid of the full stops, for North and Souths
movement of circle, allows Tennessee to fit.
Mass. & Conn.& R.I. label changed to Mass, Conn & RI also edited the Virgina tip on that territory.
current usa map (click to show)
possible update usa (click to show)
100 % view
aeronautic wrote:
Perhaps tone down the Ocean labels "Pacific & Atlantic".
Hoodlum wrote:
Post#14 version (click to show)
100% view
aeronautic wrote:
The images in the background of the main map are a lovely touch, they give a texture to the territories, but lots of territories have none.
I suggest lots of other images in various blends to give the land a great unique texture.
Perhaps some territory related images, e.g. Texas could be Oil Wells / Texans or whatever you feel that fits the time period or theme.