Discussion thread
  • 3 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
aeronautic wrote:
When we were deciding which maps had to be refined, replaced or removed, it was decided that TOR needed refining to come up to the new standards, but it had a certain hand-drawn look and feel that was liked by some players, so we only altered the colour of 1 territory causing confusion at the time.
However, at that time, we did not know that the author had only adapted this from an existing map made by slylok and that the original map also had a hand-drawn feel and was much more refined, but was not suitable to D12 (online risk) only the board game.

Since then Hoodlum has redrawn the map to look like slylok's original version, keeping most of the adaptations made by Thorpe for D12.
TOR - Hoodlum's new version (click to show)
Hoodlum's version 100% view
Link to the TOR Map Thread
Current TOR Map (click to show)
Original map by slylok (board game version) (click to show)

We need to know if there are any objections to replacing the existing map with the new one.

Do you wish to replace the current TOR map with Hoodlum's new version?
Your thoughts matter, so please post Yes / No and add your reasons if No?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I'm fine with replacing it, though too busy right now to extensively comment on the map thread.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
almost forgot about it.
I'm fine with replacing it too, Not because I refined it. I liked slyloks version better, and I don't play Thorpes one just because of the way it looked to me, but it's actually a really good gameplay map.

I know if Thorpe/Papa's version was made today, the critiques would be about the outlines/borderlines/territory lines. Maybe that's one of the reasons it was up for retouch consideration first time round?

I didn't even touch the lines from slyloks original, just did some pixel manipulation over the original text, connection lines and stuff, and added suitable connection lines and enlarged the font, which was matched to slyloks original font. Resized it to 1024 width dimension as probably Thorpe did, and changed the Ivory Tundra territory to make it intuitive, just as Thorpe had done also.

I wouldn't normally want to touch up another players (Thorpes) art, but I always liked the look of slyloks map when I would stumble across it while researching maps and now that I know it was actually the original, and slylok gave permission, and it looks better (my opinion) then d12 should have the best version of it, and gives best credit to the original creator who didn't know that it was being played on d12 for quite a few years. :)

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman