• 11 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Toktz-Jad wrote:
So I'm not sure weather a) this should be in suggestions and b) if I have permission yet - I need to wait but I would like to attempt to create this map: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080511175006/inheritance/images/4/49/Alagaesia.jpg
Virtuosity98 wrote:
It's difficult to know whether this would turn out to be a good risk map because the picture is very small. From what I can make out it looks pretty good.

However, if this is a fictional map that was made by someone else, you need written permission to recreate their map as a risk map.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

aeronautic wrote:
I am confused, is it a suggested map by Toktz-Jad or naathim?

I see it is a map from another website (is it Fragons.com or Eragons.com??). Like V98 said, you would have to get permission to use this as a risk map and even though naathim has submitted a version with territory dividers & numbers, the game play would still have to be evaluated to ensure it is suitable.

I see there are territories in the mountains too, if you need to use mountains as impassables, this would be virtually impossible.

There is also the look of the map, which has to be fitting with D12 standards.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
I just posted it cause the one the OP put up was so small. I just googled it and found a risk map for it, thought it would be good reference for OP and other readers to get a better feel for the map. Sorry for the confusion.
aeronautic wrote:
Thank you again for the post & link naathim.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say pretty much what I said about the Lord of the Ring suggested map.

I believe this will be confirmed by the Head Cartographer, but this is not suitable to D12 style maps.
There is also the headache of copyright, it is in most cases far better to create the map yourself, fictional or geographic.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Matty wrote:
I for one love the Eragon books (let's deny the fact that there is a movie for now), and would like to see this worked out as a risk map.

Now, the author is a young guy, and not some company that inherited a very much big business fantasy world, so you might actually get permission for a risk map (not to mention that he himself "borrowed" quite a lot from other sources as well).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I am all for diversity and I of all people love the fictional map more than the geographic one due to the endless possibilities and creation challenge.
It may well be simple to get permission to use this map from the author (is it you Matty?), but any outside ownership worries me regardless, for the fact that you are beholding to someone who may choose to challenge your claim of permission for any reason.
Having said that, D12 has used outside maps before and I would have no problem doing this if you and your fellow senior staff wanted it?

I must point this out for you to bare in mind before deciding,
(You will know most of this, so sorry if I sound like an authority):
The original map was drawn as an illustration and although it is kind of regional, it has no distinctive features for territory division suitable for a risk map. To make this into a territorial map, some company / website has made red division lines and numbered the territories. This looks like it was done quickly in freehand as an example map and has connection problems beside the unsuitable separated region territories and red lines on red background! That may work, for some websites! Unfortunately, I know this would not be suitable for D12. Therefore the map would have to be completely redrawn (this could also cause a problem with the copyright agreement) and if you are going to redraw it, why not draw a completely different map with different place names on the same theme / fictional place / time scale?

To summarise, it has to be redrawn so why redraw something that has a copyright when we could make a similar style map if required!?

In the next couple of days I will have a geographic map suggested, so I will come back to this if it is deemed required.
Cireon wrote:
@aeronautic: I think you don't understand the whole essence of using a existing fictional world. It is the exact same reason we have maps based on real geographic locations on this website: they are recognisable. It is fun to play on a map that looks like something you know. Despite its huge size, Westeros is a pretty popular map. Tamriel is played quite as well.

I for one think there is a distinct lack of maps based on well known fictional universes. I can give you about five fictional worlds I'd love to see a map of. Getting the permission is the hard part on this.

I am completely fine with a map with rights on it on this website, as long as there is written permission to user it, or proof that attempts to get that permission are failing because no response is given over a sustained time period. If somebody then comes to claim rights - which in itself is quite unlikely - we have something to show for it.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
aeronautic wrote:
I don't know which maps are popular as I don't do much on-line gaming except risk and was never into Dungeons & Dragons or any Middle Earth type fiction so apologies for missing the importance of the actual map.

I purely put my opinion of using illustrated maps as risk maps and expect you the senior staff to say whether or not you are happy to have such a map on the site and would be happy for me to make it into a playable map and whether you think it has potential attraction value.

It appears that there is an attraction to fictional novel / film maps and on-line gaming maps.

I tell you what, because 2 of my 3 favourite volunteer programmers have expressed a desire to have this map at D12, if you can get the 3rd programmer and our illustrious leader to give the green light, I will make it into a risk map as long as one of you then seeks the copyright agreement from the author to copy it and alter it for game play?
aeronautic wrote:
Addition: Sorry, I forgot all about the creator of this thread
Toktz-Jad
I would like to attempt to create this map
Many apologies. I will leave this to the rest of the senior staff to decide then for Toktz-Jad to show what he has in mind, before involving myself any further.

@Toktz-Jad please see the tutorial of how to show your map and information in this forum: http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=1995&lastpost=1#post-29849