by Clarke
  • 21 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Clarke wrote:
Here is a new map I made recently. All of the words on it are written in the native language of the country. So for example, HUNGARY is written in Hungarian. With Switzerland I had a choice, German or French. I chose french since most of the map is in German. The little shields in the bottom corners are the official shields of Austria.

Hope you like it.

http://s41.photobucket.com/user/Richard_B_Clarke/media/D12%20Maps/Austria_zpsf9077f40.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
naathim wrote:
I like it. Lot's of big regions though. Whoever gains the smaller regions first will have an advantage. But I kind of like the idea of a map with bigger regions that you have to fight long and hard for :D

The region borders don't look even sized pixels? Could just be the colors throwing my eyes off.

LOVE the texture and the border!!!

My research shows switzerland can be referred to as the 'Swiss Confederation' in any of their four official languages, but they used Confoederatio Helvetica on their coinage.
Clarke wrote:
Thanks, but I will stick with Suisse for Switzerland. I tried to make the regions defensible. Tried to have as few border territories as possible to enclose the regions. Truth is I love making these maps so much and can pretty knock one out in 2 days so you will be seeing a lot of maps from me.

I drew the border by hand. Lots of copy and paste. So you saw it was castle turret? Austria is known for having some amazing castles...

All of the region borders were drawn with a 3 and the territory borders were drawn with a 2. However when I "vignette" the regions, the edges were darkened a little and that might be creating a little bit of an optical illusion.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you like it.
Clarke wrote:
One unique part of this map I have not seen before: A region of 2 or more territories completely enclosed in a single territory of another region. I thought that was a fun and unique tidbit, so I did it on purpose.

And I named that territory for the german word for encircle or enclose.

Clarke wrote:
I just realized I didn't "sign" the Austria map. I'll fix it tomorrow.
PsymonStark wrote:
Wow. You got there a 7 bonus region defended by only 1 territory! I don't think it's a good thing for balance... I guess you would need to rethink the outline again...

I like the texture, but I think it's too noisy. Pops up too much for me. And be careful, you have lots of dead pixels in the minimap!

By the way, it's Česká Republika and Magyarország for the bordering countries.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Clarke wrote:
Yeah, this is still a rough draft. I knew about the minimap and the pixels.

Where is there a 7 defended by only one? What color? I was told by Vexer himself that people want maps with areas that are defendable. If there is an area with many territories but only a few that need to defend it, then the region bonus is less. So it all balances out.

On my next map ***SPOILER ALERT*** I do have one region with 7 or 8 territories defended by one. But the region bonus is only like 3 and it will be difficult to earn that area since you need 7 or 8 to do it. Epic battles ahead!!!

Thanks for the feedback. I will clean this up and have a v.2 soon.
PsymonStark wrote:
All the western part of the map can be protected with a bunch of troops in the first yellow region (Leogang). Theoretically the purple region it has 3 borders but if you manage to take the western green region and that yellow territory you get a great advantage.
Clarke wrote:
@PsymonStark>I get your point, but you would have to earn it first. Lets take Classic for example. You can protect all of north and south america with only 3 territories. You can protect Asia & Australia with only 3 territories. The hard part is EARNING it. The regions are large enough that nobody is going to get a great drop and instantly have all of the western area.

All of the regions are the actual regions of Austria. But I drew the territory lines for game play sake. Vexer has driven home the point that players like regions that are defensible. So that is what I have done on this map and on my new Iceland map.

I do appreciate your feedback and I hope we can at least beta test the maps and see if the gameplay is good or not.

naathim wrote:
I feel like it's too light now? Looks a little faded/washed out to me. I liked it a little darker. Should also be Confédération suisse for switzerland :DDDD

And I'm not too concerned about the big, easy to defend regions. Because like Clarke said, they're gonna be dang hard to get. Plus the region bonuses are acceptable and fair.

The only thing is, in a deathmatch, once a person gets two of these regions, they should be able to win without much trouble. I'd consider dividing Oberwart into two territories.

Should be a fun map for two people though, or team matches for when those get rolled out!

Clarke wrote:
I didn't change the colors at all but I can darken it up a bit.

According to Wikipedia Suisse is french for Switzerland and that is good enough for me. I am not Swiss, but I figure it might be like the difference between America and The United States of America. For the purposes of this map I think Suisse serves the purpose as a label for the neighbor.

On most maps if someone jumps out to a two region lead they should be able to win without too much trouble.

Please don't think I am arguing with your feedback. Just giving my two cents in reply.
naathim wrote:
BUT IT'S SO MUCH FUN TO ARGUE!!!

Beta-ing would be a good idea.
PsymonStark wrote:
Just a thought, French part of Switzerland is western, the one we see is eastern.

upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cb/Sprachen_CH_2000_EN.svg
cbt711 wrote:
Purple / light green in the west is way too imbalanced for gameplay. You can block a 7 bonus at two regions.

Actually if you invade Leogang too, you get +7 for two regions, and +2 for 15 territories. So your draft is 3+2+7 for 12 and you only have to defend one territory. Not sure how to break that up. Maybe introduce train stations that would work like ports? You need something to break that section down into a more contested region.

Again, I'm a big fan of the looks, font is a bit small again :)
How did you make so many maps so fast? Great work.