New map from Clarke
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Clarke wrote:

Below is a link to a map in progress. For those not in the USA It is the American state of Pennsylvania. Each of the territories are the actual 67 counties of the state. Anyway I need some advice.

How many bonus troops should be assigned to each region?

The nice thing about this map is that it will fit beautifully on the screen with no scrolling.

Any other advice besides the region bonuses I inquired about?

Note: No textures have been applied yet. I already know about that...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_toaBLQPd1FQjNTaURNUEEyeGM/edit?usp=sharing
urgul wrote:
1.) Use the formula Vexer gave you
2.) So you're giving up on Hawaii?
Vexer wrote:
Well, we do need more maps with this many territories but there aren't many good regions because you have to defend almost every territory in the region. This will not make a great risk map. But if you can make it pretty enough then it will at least be usable even though it won't be very popular.

You have to change some of the borders because of the 4 corners problem. It is not clear which territories can attack which. Since you have to modify the borders anyway perhaps you can modify a few borders to make the regions easier to defend. I'm sure you would like the counties to be accurate but we don't make historically accurate maps here, we make Risk maps and game play has to work otherwise why make the map? No one will play on it. The original world classic map is a good example. Those borders are no where near accurate but they make the game play work.
Clarke wrote:
Okay so larger regions with fewer defendable territories. Got it. I was thinking along the lines of Mediterranean States when I outlined this map and colored the regions.

But I will do it as you suggested Vexer.

I will also make sure the attackable areas are clearly defined.
Clarke wrote:
@Urgul>Havent given up on Hawaii... Just put it on the back burner. Got inspired by other maps.

I will eventually get back to it (not too far in the future).
urgul wrote:
I'm not a big fan of the gameplay. It seems like whoever tries to get the northwest corner of PA will win every time.... also, (what Vexer said), the regions have to be more 'defensible', unless you make them all worth a lot of extra armies/turn....
Oh yeah, what are those random color squares at the bottom?
Clarke wrote:
That was just my color palette I am working with. Remember this is a work in progress.

It wont be there when the map is complete.

What do you think of my French Indochina 1914 map?
lifeinpixels wrote:
I agree, I don't like the gameplay much. I would really like to see you finish that Hawaii map though :)