• 34 posts
  • Page 1 of 3
chris wrote:
I'm working on designing a Solar System map. I'll get a preliminary drawing up as soon as I can.

Putting up the planets as groups, with each planet having a number of "space ports" which link the planets together. It'll basically play like an island map.

One question, though. Can I make territories that aren't attached to any groups? I was thinking it might be interesting to put in Space Stations as bridges between planets as well. Also, even though I'm not likely to use this one, is it possible to put a territory that belongs to 2 countries?

*Edit 11/29: Wow. This is harder than it looks.
I've uploaded a picture of the template I'm using for the map. This shows where I'm planning to put all the territories and groups, as well as the mechanics, bonuses, etc. I don't have any of the graphics in this version. I'm just uploading it to get feedback on placement, balance, etc.
[image]

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for territory names? Earth's easy. I'm just short on territory names for everything else.

Speaking of Earth, I've drawn the actual continents onto the planet(more or less). The oceans can't be owned. The rest of the planets, everything marked as separate is a different territory.

*edit*Well, I was talking to skanska and apparently he can't see the image. Great. Well, It's on Photobucket now. Tell me how it looks.

Well, of course I'm mad. It makes things a great deal more interesting.
wca wrote:
Yes.
You can have territories that aren't part of any bonus.
And you can also have territories that are part of more than one bonus.
4myGod wrote:
Yeah, feel free to be creative, if you want to invent something completely new you can do that as well, just tell us how it works and if it's a good idea we will add it.

I think this solar system could be a fun one, remember 1024px width would be best! I look forward to seeing it.
chris wrote:
Sounds good. Any particular height or can it be as tall as I want? Within reason, of course.

wca wrote:
Any height, within reason.
Remember that having a shorter map will make it easier for people to play without having to scroll. So if you could keep it kinda short, that would be awesome.
sfhbballnut wrote:
definitely liking maps that fit on the screen, there's plenty of room to do that since the controls are right on the map, so it can be big enough
-My name is Gladiator.
4myGod wrote:
Yeah depending on how many territories you want, if you have a lot of territories it might be easier to use with a slight scroll, rather than fitting them all into a box.
chris wrote:
Well, I just had a major setback in that I am temporarily bereft of Photoshop. So far, all my work has been done on plain old paper, so I'm not going to be able to upload a high-quality image for a little while.

On the other hand, I should be able to get the MS Paint version (9 or so funny little colored circles split into sections with lines between them) up within a day or 2. The MS Paint version is, at the moment, correct in terms of where territories are, what they border, what the bonuses are, etc. It just doesn't look as pretty as the final version will.

One question, though. How do I upload an image into the thread?

4myGod wrote:
You can use www.imageshack.com to store the image, or search google for "free image hosting" to find another site. Upload it there and then get a url to the image and post it here as [ img ]url[ / img ] Without the spaces.

If you are good at drawing on paper, those usually turn out quite well if scanned in and color photoshoped into them. Just an idea. I look forward to seeing the territory locations and how you will display the solar system.
wca wrote:
I use www.photobucket.com to put up all my images.
I've been using it for a few years, its always worked well for me.
chris wrote:
It isn't exactly a finished map, but I've got a drawing up that shows where everything will be once I get it finished.

By the way, I found a site called dropbox.com that I'm hosting from. It syncs the image on the internet whenever I change it on my computer.

wca wrote:
chris, you should make a new post, not just edit your first one, or we won't know that you've made any changes.
chris wrote:
My bad.

ANNOUNCEMENT: There have been changes.

Can everyone see it now?

4myGod wrote:
I see it. It can look very mysterious if you get some good graphics. I have no idea for names, except the typical space names. Sector 1-8 or Space Station 1+... or stuff like that.