How to start
  • 5 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Thorpe wrote:
Ok ...I open up CS6 and start with 1024 x 800...or any map size with-in the specs., that I can use for this site. I have a white background for my first layer or a map, pic, or what ever I opened.
I make a new layer and I want to do a outline for my map...what tool do I use, and with what settings?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Vexer wrote:
OUTLINE

CS6 has a path tool but that is a bit advanced. Glanru has a method for it and shared it with Fendi though that was a long time ago.

I would actually start simpler until you are more familiar with photoshop. Just use the brush and adjust the settings on it until the lines are sharp but not jagged. You can also use the pencil to get a proper edge for doing the colors and then draw over the pencil in a new layer using the brush. Or you can skip the pencil step if you figure out how to using the magic wand properly to select the area for the colors. I don't know about CS6 but in CS2 (the one I have) you have to right click on the brush tool to be able to select the pencil tool and vice versa.

LAYER MASKS

I would highly recommend watching plenty of beginners tutorials on youtube. If you are going to do a map primarily in photoshop then you absolutely need to learn about layer masks. Layer masks will save the day if have to change territory boundaries or move islands around. If you want a texture to show up on just the land you don't have to delete the sea from it. You use a layer mask to hide part of the texture layer that is over the sea. That way nothing is actually deleted from the texture layer and you can change the shore line and then update the layer mask. Definitely find a tutorial on layer masks.

The new version paint.net that will be getting released in a few months will also have layer masks. At that point using layer masks will become a requirement for texture layers so this technique is important to learn.
Thorpe wrote:
This really helped. It was layer mask that I needed...and I now know what I was doing wrong...trying to adjust my layer without mask is really hard...masking is the way to edit.
Have been watching tutorials on youtube and on photoshop website, but what is lacking is "Map" tutorials...I might have to go to the Cartography site but I forgot what it was...it was bookmarked on my old computer. They use all kinds of programs to make their maps. I will try to find the site again ...unless you remember what it was.

Thank-you again.

Anti-Aliasing off for the text and the lines?
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
Thorpe wrote:
Thank-you for the link, and info.