• 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
lifeinpixels wrote:
Double maps (like caribbean double) are cool but we only have one on this site. Seems like a fun design challenge, so I thought I'd try to make another.

I am thinking of something along the lines of a 2 story house (inspired by glanru's house map). Instead of calling it a double map, maybe I should call it a multi-layered map, since I don't want both stories to be identical. They will be similar enough (color and shapes) so that players can tell what connects to what, but I still want differences between the two to make gameplay more interesting.

For example, we have layers 1 and 2. Both will have the same region outlines but a region in layer 1 might consist of 3 territories while the same region in layer 2 consists of 6 territories. So every two regions in layer 2 corresponds with one region in layer 1. The two regions corresponding to the one will have the same shape, so that it is evident that the territory on layer 1 can only attack the two territories on layer 2, and vice versa.

This is a very rough idea so I will be thinking about it a lot more before I start up any drafts, but I'd like to hear what opinions mapmakers and other players have. Are there too many flaws or does this seem like a concept that could work?
Matty wrote:
Im not sure if it will work or not - but how popular is carribean double?

It will be ALOT of work, is that worth it?
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
I've had the same idea before but gave up on it. It would be a lot of work and may never actually get come to fruition. I don't recommend taking on the hardest map possible as your first map. All that being said, if you can come up with a sketch that looks workable and fun then we can probably help paint it for you.

We do have plans for a world double map but it could be years at this rate before I get to it.
Thorpe wrote:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6519/p34l.jpg
Spoiler (click to show)
How about just mirrored...you act like the 2nd one is another place you have to take over.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
lifeinpixels wrote:
That's a beautiful map; I want to see it gameplay regardless of whether or not my idea comes through!
Thorpe wrote:
No comments from staff...must be busy.
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
elysium5 wrote:
Sorry, totally missed this one. Love the idea of mirrored maps. Not to sure about the colour contrasts in this one but I really like the look.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
SpamFree wrote:
Maybe the Hawaii map Clarke is working on could be a candidate for a parallel map. (Provided it ever makes it out of "committee" LOL)
I'd like to play more maps like Caribbean Double :)