Starting to make my first maps
  • 12 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
urgul wrote:
Inspired by Thorpe, and driven by my dream to make a map or help in making a map, i am finally getting started on my first map. (Alaska.) Anywho, I am using scribble maps and before i pay for it, I would like to know if any of you other map makers have ever used Scribble maps and if it works well.
I plan to be done my rough draft of my Alaska map by the end of the week.

urgul
marcoxa wrote:
never even heard of it. i use GIMP. its free, and it does everything photoshop can.
urgul wrote:
i tried to use gimp... seems like the most complex, next to impossible to use on a mac...
thorpe said that i cant use scribble anyway,
so im not gonna use that.
Cireon wrote:
If you find Gimp complicated, Photoshop will be impossible. All of the "big" graphics programs (Photoshop, Gimp, Paint Shop Pro) need quite some time to get used to and the learn. Most tools are completely different too, making it hard to switch also.

My advice is to start with gimp and try it a bit. You have to give it some time before you throw it away. If it doesn't work for you, then you could always download a trial version of Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, but they are really expensive to use and equally complex, if not even more complicated.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
urgul wrote:
is there a special type for mac? because gimp seems not to be what it is supposed to be. when i look at the site, it shows two collumns on either side of the canvas. on my gimp, it shows... just a canvas. it leads me to believe it has something to do with the type of computer i had.
marcoxa wrote:
on the top click the "Windows" section. from there you can open you toolbox window.
Vexer wrote:
There has got to be a free paint.net like program for the mac. Does anyone know?
Cireon wrote:
Well, there isn't. I have been looking for it for quite a while and I have not find anything satisfactory yet. You could look into Seashore, but it is not what you want it to be. You could always try running Paint.NET using Wine or a Virtual Machine, as it is not a heavy program to run, but I usually boot to Windows and use Paint.NET there.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
urgul wrote:
i dont mind spending money for a good map making/ picture editting tool. as long as its under 50$ down and/or 20$ a month.
urgul wrote:
actually, seashore doesnt seem that bad.
its great because its built for apple, so it actually works. also, it is not that complex BUT not too simple either.
thanks cireon,
urgul
Vexer wrote:
It has layers and it's files can be opened in gimp so it could work. Urgul just be sure to put each element of the map in it's own layer.