• 59 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
Sygmassacre wrote:
Just one small thing...the island at the bottom of the south island is Stewart Island as opposed to Stuart Island :)
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Sygmassacre wrote:
Oh and Upper Hutt should probably be changed to Kapiti as Upper Hutt is really just a small city and part of the greater Wellington province whereas Kapiti/Horowhenua stretches up from Wellington to Manawatu
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
Hoodlum wrote:
Thanks for leading me to this post Sygmassacre. I was thinking it would be cool to have a NZ map to play on, and here are all
these old posts and cool designs. BUMPETY BUMP..
As one of D12's most recent active players..I'll give this
map plenty of live gametime... chur..Make it happen :)
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
This map is cool. here's some feed back from a kiwi.

I had a few games using my risk map editor.
While making the game I wasn't sure if
Westland is connected to Hurunui. I assume it is.
I assume that the the rivers are impassible unless
they have bridges. I don't see any information for that other than assuming.

Ports are good and playable and it's cool that they are real port locations

Maybe an indigenous Maori diagram to go with the kiwi and fern and endeavour ship.
or even Maori pattern shapes visibly carved into the wood background.

I lived in the South Island myself, and it was pretty cool while making the game
to enter names of the north Island it's place names,, where I went..ahh that's wherethat city is exactly.
Hoodlum wrote:
BUMP - (Maps used were for personal home use / not online! AI playing. using map editor program)
Hoodlum wrote:
Admire the talent D12 cartographers do with these maps, enough to inspire me to learn. Some nights I fall asleep googling how to create game maps, Today I just gave it a crack editing the NZ map project ronalchn was working on, for some practice. Here's todays effort

Spoiler (click to show)
aeronautic wrote:
Well done for acquiring another skill, show off!!
I'm glad you had a chance to practise on a map that means something to you.
However, this map really needs ronalchn here with his layered version and he needs to get some assistance from a cartographer, because I read the thread and Vexer & Helpers were stating what was required for the map to continue, but these things weren't done. Unfortunately ronalchn has not been on line for 4 months.

It's a shame because he did most of the requested changes / alterations and then stopped progressing with this map.

I will ask Fendi, if she can't get an email reply from ronalchn or he doesn't want to progress with this or if it has been long enough since the last update, if she would like me to make a new one. Hopefully with the helpful advice of Sygmassacre & Hoodlum.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
That would be awesome! If ronalchn could finish this, or give you the files to do it or even if you start from scratch. It does mean something to me, as you mentioned and i think of my hometown Christchurch when you said this. I've been back once since the quakes, and it was such a sad gloomy re-visit, it was such a beautiful city to grow up in, snow cap mountains to the west, rolling green hills to the east, old english style buildings, (all rubble now).

Matty wrote:
I would love to see this map finished as well.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I will try my best to get this sorted. It is very dependent on whether or not ronalchn gives permission to complete his map or whether the boss gives me the okay to create a new one from scratch. It won't take very long that way. Putting in about 2 or 3 hours a day for the 4 evenings I have without gigs, it should be done in about a week or two.
It is mainly about finding the correct version of the map and the rest is "just pie" as they say. If this does become a reality, I will need a Kiwi such as Hoodlum to be in the appropriate thread daily, because I work quickly with graphics and will be making alterations that will need the indigenous eye for guidance, correctness and suitability.

I must have been a Maori in a past life, I used to draw doodles like this on all my school books in the 1970's whilst dreaming instead of listening. I still got all my qualifications, but paid very little attention as the drawings had more appeal. LOL
[image]
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
I'm glad your going down the indigenous path thought for the artistic side aero, would be more than happy to give advice and Syg would also be a good one to get advice from. I think ronalchn's present map needs a bit of cultural flavour design wise, because it's a big part of NZ's identity, as you would know being part of the commonwealth. Haka, Tattoo (Ta Moko), wood carvings, jewellery, weaponry. Maori art has it's own distinction in patterns within Polynesia as well which is probably not noticed, unless you were Polynesian or studied Pacific arts, so respectfully these things would need to be considered.You'll notice the spiral, shapes in Maori art, which comes from the natural shapes of the land. Going with this pattern you can't go wrong.
Koru / fern (click to show)

KORU
Vexer wrote:
ronalchn is willing to let someone else finish the map. I've requested the source file from him but don't know how long it will take him to respond.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Vexer.
The next few days are my busiest so I don't mind if he takes a few days to respond with the source file.