just curious if these would work, no rush on getting them done any time soon.
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
marcoxa wrote:
ok so i'm just curious if these would work, no rush on getting them done any time soon.

the first one would be pretty easy to set up i think. its basically like an advance fog mode. everything is the same as a fog game except for one big difference, you don't know how many troops your attacking. you can see what color it is but beyond that you have no idea what your getting yourself into when you attack. i think it could make for some very interesting games. also something about the game log would have to be changed for that mode otherwise you can see where people are placing there troops.

the second one is just an idea i had i don't know if other people like or not but i'll see what you guys think. ok so many times i want to play a live risk game but i don't want to be caught up in a big 3-4 hour game. cuz that happens sometimes and i end up not being able to finish the game. i think the solution to this could be a new game mode. i call it The Kings Army. so basically its your standard risk game, but the way to win is a bit different. the person who sets up the game selects the amount of turns he/she wants the game to last. once you get the game started you goal is to have the biggest army as in number of troops by the end of the game. once everyone has taken the X amount of turns then the person who has the most troops wins.
Matty wrote:
Im not sure if the advanced fog will work, I mean, in fog its a tactic to see a huge part of the map, but here it wont help, because you dont know anything at all...
FYI in FOG games, you dont get to see the log either.

The other one could be an idea, but im not sure if it wont ruin the gameplay :S
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I like your second idea marcoxa, but I think that none should know when the game ends.

The palyer who creates the game decide, for example, that the game will end between the 40th and 50th turn. Why? Because if everybody knows when the game ends some players who have no chance of victory can decide who wins attacking certain players (for example those who attacked him most) and this would be quite unfair.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
BrewDog wrote:
I proposed a solution to end games quicker to Vexer in a fixed cards game that we've been playing for an eternity. Basically after a certain number of pre-set rounds, you'd start losing armies. Everyone would. I called radiation or cancer. It could be named something less tragic like lack of resources. Anyways, say after round 20, everyone would lose 1 army per turn (obivously you couldn't have zeros on the board), and say round 26, you lose two per turn. The idea is that it would force action
BrewDog wrote:
Doh!! especially with cards, increasing or fixed. By the end of a few rounds of radiation, everyone would be getting weak and the weakest would be more easily taken out and the territory bonuses would also be more important.
Fendi wrote:
Those are both interesting ideas, but a few things comes to mind..

About your first idea. I have also thought of this one before and heard that it already exists on other risk sites (Dont know which ones). Like Matty said, you wont be able to see a thing so basically all you would do is attack blindly and hope for the best. Getting a card would also be a very difficult thing since you wont know how many armies it would require to conquer a territory.

I am a bit skeptical when it comes to your second idea, like MuzuaneAskari said, 1 player can really change the outcome of the whole game, especially when its nearing the end. A suicidal move or even over attacking would be the only things required for that to happen. I also believe this game-option would only be played by experienced players since most people who are new to risk are known to over attack. (No offense)
This would also mean that people would not be attacking, but instead going after a region bonus and once they own one, their main goal would be to only build up and own the largest army. Making it unfair for those who were unable to take a region.

I think we already have a solution for the 'never ending' games, namely capped cards. Basically when the turn in reaches for examples 20 then it will stay 20 throughout the game.

Or what you can do is limit the amount of armies a player can have on the board, like this idea about capital games:

http://www.dominating12.com/forum/?cmd=topic&id=704

But instead, when a player has reached their max number of troops then the system jumps over the 'reinforcement' stage and goes directly to the 'attacking' stage, forcing them to attack.
But there are also some problems with this idea, for instance, if you have reached your max level and you have cards then the cards you own will be worthless.
Vexer wrote:
I personally would not be interested in your fog idea.

I agree with the others about the problems with your second idea. It would make it too easy for a player to choose who wins. All they have to do is attack the players they don't like right before the round limit is up.

I proposed an alternate solution to the problem of games going too long in another thread but the thread conversation quickly went another direction and no one commented on it. So I am going to copy and paste it here.

I have a new idea that may be even better than limiting the amount of troops on territories.

Now keep in mind the goal here is to make sure that increasing games do not become never ending games or games that require someone to do something really stupid in order for someone to win. I am talking about games where the card turn in goes up over 70 or so. When players have more troops than two cards turn ins worth how do you kill them?

So my idea is that you get a bonus card for killing a player. This could be for fixed or increasing, capitals or deathmatch. It would be an additional game option.

I think that this would significantly decrease the likelihood of a never ending game. For example if you have 3 cards and you kill a player who has 3 cards you will have 7 cards which means most likely a double turn in which you could then use to kill a strong player with 5 cards and double turn in again.

One thing to think about is that this makes it a lot easier to walk the board in an increasing card game which is a great thing if you know how to do it, but for new player or players who only understand a continents strategy they may not want to play with this option.

I've thought about naming the option "Kill Card" and it would be displayed in the games list with a yes or no just like fog.

What do you all think?
Vexer wrote:
yeah, it would be a good option for when you need a faster game cause you only have 30 minutes.