the biggest killers of all
  • 12 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
1771 wrote:
Recently i have had numerous complaints about the dice not having attackers advantage, so I have started asking around about them. I talked to 4myGod and he told me they are from random.org, after talking with him I spoke with Vexer and this is what he had to say.

if the dice rolls come from random.org then they are actually better and more random than any other site. they would more random than anything a computer algorithm could produce because random.org samples random fluctuations in the atmosphere. This is true natural randomness whereas computer algorithms only produce pseudo-randomness or in other words they do their best to approximate randomness.

So with that in mind he has an idea in another posting called advance dice, seems like something that may help. But would only be an option. He also said something that made alot of sense to me about when we roll dice, sometimes the way we pick them up and hold them in our hands actually makes them less random, that makes alot of sense to me, because sometimes a person can do that.

So the randomness is there, unfortunately sometimes the luck just isn't!!! In reality the dice are the biggest killers of all, atleast in my own opinion.
Pntbttr wrote:
I think the dice are fine as long as somebody doesn't get continuously terrible rolls for multiple games (and even if this happens people should know when to stop). The randomness of random.org sounds pretty random. The advanced dice idea sounded cool and I think it should be an option. The only thing about the advanced dice is that I think we need to get that warning thing up so that you know what you are playing. I also agree that the way a person rolls affects the numbers you will receive.

And one more thing when are the maps, game types and ranks going to be free and automatic? 
Votazap wrote:
dice have killed me lately,i get okay rolls sometimes but i recently lost 8vs1 twice in a game,12vs4,and 20vs 2  3s!!!!!!  LOL
1771 wrote:
Free maps and gametypes have been talked about, but nothing set in stone as of yet. I will talk to Teck on this matter though, and get back with you.
lucide wrote:
I did an experiment with the numbers from random.org. I got 4000x5 rolls and simulated 3vs2 dice fights. The probability to loose 2 man in 2,3,4 and 5 consecutive rolls are:

0.0855 0.026 0.00825 0.00325

respectively. Hence, about 8 in a 1000, we should expect to see 8 man loss in a streak. Currently I had taken 6897 turns, say, out of which 4000 should be 3vs2, hence, it is normal to expect 33 such 8man losses. And even 13 10man losses! Those are surprisingly large. Also count the fact that one tends to remember such losses more, as most likely, that would be very dramatic. So, the conclusion is, that is the nature of the dice, one should expect to face such terrible defeats.

But I beleive, especially when clicked fast and continuously, the actual outcome is much larger then these numbers. Its not that the source of the random numbers is non-uniform, i suspect the implementation. Can it be the case, when requests are sent fast, it may redraw the same numbers? Can you just print the rolls to a file, when clicked fast, and share the result with me Teck?
Vexer wrote:
this is how it works, the site has a bunch of rolls saved from random.org and it cycles through them changing the pointer value after each roll. it is possible that the implementation could have an error, but I don't see how given that it is a simple pointer.

but if it does have an error, i hope you get to the bottom of it lucide.
lucide wrote:
To be coincise, it is not a very very small probability to see 10 consecutive losses, i.e. say a 12vs2 fights goes down till 2vs2 without a win. The probability is 3.25 out of 1000. Considering pntbttr, you have taken around 2800 turns till now, you should not be surprised to get 9 times such 10 loss streaks throughout all your games you have played here.
Pntbttr wrote:
Yeah every now and then, but normally I would stop after losing five of six. I have heard crazy stuff like 14vs1 losing from different people, but I think that they should give up after half as many men. I think the most annoying fights are 4vs1 losing, this seems to happen a lot in two people games; and then you don't get a card.
Glanru wrote:
I admit it isn't the dice that is the foundation of my frustration. But, luck by itself doesn't manifest without the dice!
Vexer wrote:
Glanru finally got his forum access back! what an annoying glitch it was.