Anyone else?
  • 10 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
stoutadam wrote:
Is anyone else having problems creating new games? I keep trying, but can't seem to get it to create games...

Thanks!
The_Bishop wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that... Personally I have no problem creating games.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
From the faq page:

FAQ
Premium. How do I play more than 5 games at a time?
If you've noticed we limit free users to only 5 games at a time, with an additional 2 games for 120 battle tokens each. The site costs money to maintain and we figure people who want to play more than 5 games at a time can help us pay the cost to maintain it. We offer premium memberships for a year ($25), 6 months ($15) and 3 months ($9). Once you have paid, your 5 game restriction will be taken away and you can play as many games as you want, until your premium membership runs out. For more information click: Premium membership.

Premium. How do I play more than 3 live games per day?
We limit free users to only 3 live games per day (with 2 extra two-player games). You can play additional games for 120 battle tokens each. The site costs money to maintain and we figure people who want to play more than 3 games per day can help us pay the cost to maintain it. We offer premium memberships for a year ($25), 6 months ($15) and 3 months ($9). Once you have paid, your 3 game restriction will be taken away and you can play as many games per day as you want, until your premium membership runs out. For more information click: Premium membership.

Could this ^ be the issue?
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
Are you trying to play live or long term?

Right now there are 516 active long term games, and 203 waiting to start (of which 131 are not password protected or duplicates of other games).
So it looks like there's plenty of activity going on, but indeed a lot of games being created.

So yeah, some games will probably never start, but plenty of others do. If you can't start your game, maybe you're using weird settings in combination with a lot of players?
Not everyone wants to commit to a 9 player world extended no cards game, as these can take months to complete.

I don't have hard numbers about live games right now, but we do have more live games in total then long term games, so maybe try to play more games in 'active hours'? Aka, when it's evening in europe or the US there will probably be more players online then somewhere in the morning.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
stoutadam wrote:
Thanks for the responses! 
To clarify - I know how to create games and have done so for years. Here is what happens when I try lately:
- I set all the settings (map, # of players, etc.).
- I click "Create Game."
- No game creates. It sort of refreshes the game creation page, with all the settings back at the default.
- I've tried lots of combinations, but just can't get much to work. I was able to create a Game 1085644, but any other attempt just won't work.
- I've tried different devices, different wifi networks, and different browsers (Chrome, Safari). No luck.
The_Bishop wrote:
In the right lower corner you have the option "When done, go to:" if accidentaly you set it to "Create new" then you will not see the game you have just created. If your intention is to create only one game and go directly to it be sure to select "When done, go to:" / "Game". I hope it's just that...
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
@stoutadam
 I sent you a PM. I think The_Bishop is correct in what the issue may be.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
stoutadam
... No game creates. It sort of refreshes the game creation page ...
Aaah. Argh. Looks like two things go wrong here.

The first and most obvious thing is that it doesn't properly show the error messages. We changed how we display error messages lately, and it looks like the create game page doesn't show them.

The second problem is that this page should not have to show error messages, because it validates it's input before you send it.
(which is probably also why we didn't see the error messages not working here - it's not that easy to post invalid input on this page).

I fixed it showing error message (not uploaded yet, waiting for the CI build and Cireon to approve the change). After that you can try again, it will probably still fail, but at least it'll tell you why. Maybe it's something on your end (aka, buy capitals wth tokens or something), or on our end (aka, you can select captitals without having it bought with your tokens).

Edit: Another thing went wrong as well in that my first reply was in the wrong thread, as two people asked two similar looking (but very different) questions at almost the same time. Sorry.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
elysium5 wrote:
I believe the actual issue stoutadam is having is a limit of how many password protected games a non-premium member is allowed to create at a time.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
If you try again you should see an error message telling you what the problem is ;)