• 4 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Bearskin wrote:
Hopefully I posted this in the correct place.

Is there anywhere on the site that shows the popularity of each game type and/or size?
I've checked through the information pages and forum posts but I can't find it anywhere.

The sort of thing I'm thinking about would be a table showing (for a given period, say a month or 6 weeks);
How many 2-player games have been played
How many 3-player games have been played
How many 4-player games have been played
etc. etc.

How many Deathmatch games have been played
How many Capitals games have been played
etc. etc.

Reason I Ask
I've been experimenting with map ideas and it would be helpful to know the above, so I can discount maps that won't suit D12.
No point designing a 9-player map if most people are playing 5-player games.
Equally, worth designing a specific 2-player map if those are what gets played the most.

Or maybe I should be thinking about maps in broader terms, rather than accommodating player preferences?

Cireon wrote:
https://dominating12.com/maps

The best I can offer you right now is checking the page above and see which maps are popular/played most. That being said, there are a lot of maps in the same range as the world map, but you'll always have to compete with people playing the official map. At the same time, there are very few 9 players maps, so there's definitely a niche audience there. I'd focus on building a map that you think would be fun to make.

For game types: all maps should work with all game types, so it's only the size that we could really measure.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
Bearskin wrote:
Thanks Cireon, for the reply.

Fair point about maps and game types.
Would be nice to see the breakdown of games by number of players, though (I think you were suggesting that was possible).

I'm sure there are more important matters, programming wise - one for the wish list I guess.

elysium5 wrote:
Larger maps are great because the more experienced players and members play those types of games and that is something the better players appreciate. Not taking away from the smaller maps or experienced players liking them as well but those of us who want to play a really good game with experienced players do appreciate the good larger maps.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."