• 8 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
armstrong101 wrote:
Hi folks

So regarding cashing sets. Suppose we eliminate someone during a move, gaining their cards. I used to think that you could only cash a set mid-way through your move, if you were holding 5 or more cards. i.e. if you only had 4 cards (after gaining the cards of another player that you just eliminated), irregardless if whether you had a set of 3 or not, you couldn't cash them in.  But I just played a game, and at one point I believe I was only holding 4 cards mid-move, and yet the site allowed me to cash a set of 3. Game here:
https://dominating12.com/game/913523

So does it mean, that if one collects cards mid-move, as long as one is holding a set of 3, they can be cashed, no matter the total cards one is holding? Or does it have to be 5 or more? The rationale for "requiring" 5 or more is that no one is allowed to hold more than 5 cards at any time, so if someone was holding 5, at the end of their turn, they'd get another card, the 6th, which isn't allowed - but with the assumption that one shouldn't necessarily have the right to cash in mid-move if that isn't a possibility.

Thanks in advance.
What am I on? I'm on my bike.
maafi wrote:
If you had been playing with an advanced cards setting you would’ve been able to trade mid-turn (after eliminating another player) without needing 5 cards.
However, the game you refer to did not have the advanced cards setting, so either you didn’t remember correctly or there’s a bug that I haven’t heard of.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Cireon wrote:
Advanced cards -> you can turn in after elimination if you have a set
Normal cards -> you can turn in after elimination if you have 5 or more cards
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
armstrong101 wrote:
OK - I can confirm I cashed a set of 3 cards from 4 cards in that game. 

I was holidng 2 cards, when I eliminated a guy holding 5. So that gave me 7 cards. The game allowed me to cash two sets in that mid-turn which meant one of the sets was cashed with me holding only 4 cards. You'll see the following in the log:

16 May, 21:26:46 armstrong101 received 45 troops for turning in cards S Africa, Alberta, and Ural.
16 May, 21:26:46 armstrong101 received 2 troops on Alberta
16 May, 21:26:26 armstrong101 received 40 troops for turning in cards Quebec, W Europe, and E Africa 2.

So should that 2nd cash have happened? Or we can cash mid-move with less than 5 provided that it's the 2nd set being cashed at the same time?
armstrong101 wrote:
I have a screenshot of the game status prior to move, showing who was holding what cards. 

The five-card holder was yellow, my 3rd elimination in the chain kill. I started my move with 5 cards, cashed to get to two, eliminated Purple (holding 3), giving me 5, cashed to get to two, eliminated Cyan (holding 3), giving me 5, cashed to get to two, eliminated Yellow (holding 5), which is how I got to 7. And you can see the log there that at that point, I cashed two sets. So one was cashed with me holding only 4.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Haha, smart =)

You are correct. Whenever it is your turn and you have 5 cards or more, you can turn in as many sets as you have (and you must end with 4 cards or less).
Options:

-You end your turn after attacking and conquering a territory (or more), while you were on 4 cards; next time you are on 5 cards => you must use 1 set.
-You kill someone and go to 5 cards => you MUST cash 1 set.
-You kill someone and go to 6 cards => you MUST cash 1 set and if the cards are right and you want to, you can cash in a 2nd set - RIGHT then. Not later. Just right then.
-You kill someone and go to 7 cards => you MUST cash 1 set and if the cards are right and you want to, you can cash in a 2nd set - RIGHT then. Not later. Just right then.
-You kill someone and go to 8 cards => you MUST cash 2 sets - RIGHT then. Not later. Just right then.
-You kill someone and go to 9 cards => you MUST cash 2 sets and if the cards are right and you want to, you can cash in a 3rd set - RIGHT then. Not later. Just right then.

Hope that explains it all for you? If not - ask again!

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
armstrong101 wrote:
OK got it. So yes - I cashed with 4 and am not mistaken!

So this is the one exception to the rule, that one cannot cash with 4 (or 3) mid-move. You can do it provided it's a 2nd (or 3rd) set being cashed at that moment.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
armstrong101
OK got it. So yes - I cashed with 4 and am not mistaken!

So this is the one exception to the rule, that one cannot cash with 4 (or 3) mid-move. You can do it provided it's a 2nd (or 3rd) set being cashed at that moment.

Yep =)
I suppose for most people who become somewhat regular here, do not think like that anymore, see it as an obvious thing - but I can completely relate to it being odd to someone who didn't know - thanks for asking!

Maybe shouldn't really talk about "Mid-move" either though... that would leave more 'room' for interpretation. It's only at the start of a turn AND straight after eliminating someone.
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein