Some guy uses "wild cards" to make sets.
  • 22 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
armstrong101 wrote:
Hi folks

So I've played two games with some other guy. In the first game, it was a sixer, and we were the last 2 standing. He had 3 cards. They happened to make a set and that allowed him to win. I chatted to him that it was fortunate that he had a set. He said he had a "wild card" and saved it until that turn.

I'm now in another game with him. And low and behold, in the end, two of us, he gets dowen to under 10 troops and 3 cards. Presto - a set. I don't know if he's using a "wild card" again. But what are those? And why do some players get them and others don't?

Thanks in advance.
What am I on? I'm on my bike.
armstrong101 wrote:
Here's the sixer from yesterday. You'll see in the chat he (SerbianBoy) refers to having a wild card.

https://dominating12.com/game/915617

And today's sixer. That I lost since he made another 3 card set from 3 cards.

https://dominating12.com/game/914234

I hope everything is on the up and up.
Cireon wrote:
Cards that have a black colour are wildcards. They can be used to replace any of the other colours (red, green, or blue).
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
dough_boy wrote:
2nd game he didn't have a wild...just got lucky.

Most will not use a wild (black) unless absolutely needed so that they can save up and cash on back to back turns.
dough_boy is online.
armstrong101 wrote:
K. Got it. So black cards are freely available (but rare) for everyone? I don't know if I've ever seen one myself, but I could be wrong.
AlexCheckMate wrote:
armstrong101
K. Got it. So black cards are freely available (but rare) for everyone? I don't know if I've ever seen one myself, but I could be wrong.

Yes. Let's take the standard map as an example; Map:  World Classic:

In this map there are 42 territories, which therefore corresponds to 42 unique cards. Each territory corresponds to exactly 1 card - for in stance, Greenland & Eastern United States are the black (=wild) cards. This leaves 40 cards, which therefore means there are 13, 13 and 14 blue (e.g. Argentina), green (e.g. Congo) and red (e.g. Alaska) cards (which one has 14... I do not know... you could find out by 1) scouring the forum, 2) asking a/the programmer/s and/or staff 3) looking at some/a lot of games and just note down which territory is which colour :p The

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
The colour that has one more or one less is (pseudo-)randomly determined when the cards are generated, so it will be different from map to map.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
armstrong101 wrote:
K, so what I"m gathering is that neutral countries get dispersed as wild cards. Yes?
dough_boy wrote:
Yes. Cards are assigned for neutral territories as well. Could be Red/Blue/Green/Black.
dough_boy is online.
Cireon wrote:
The colours of the countries are independent of who currently owns them.
armstrong101 wrote:
OK - sorry - to revive this thread.

How many wild cards are dispersed in a game? I noticed in a map with 42 countries and 6 players, there's still some wild cards, so the number of wild cards doesn't correlate with the number of neutral countries on the board.

Further question - is it a "hard" number of wild cards that are dispersed, or are the cards assigned as wild is based on a probability? In other words - suppose there are a number/frequency of 2 cards that are wild for a board of 42 countries - if I'm holding 2 wild cards, does that mean no one else is holding any? Or does it mean that all the cards that are not in my possession each have a 2/42 % chance of being wild?

Thanks in advance.
armstrong101 wrote:
AlexCheckMate
Greenland & Eastern United States are the black (=wild) cards.

OK - so this is firm statement? those two will always be wild on the classic map?

AlexCheckMate wrote:
armstrong101
AlexCheckMate
Greenland & Eastern United States are the black (=wild) cards.

OK - so this is firm statement? those two will always be wild on the classic map?

Yes. In the classic map, those two are the black cards. However, do not interpret this wrong. The CARDS of those territories are black - this does NOT mean that if/when you conquer/occupy those countries, you get those black cards. All the cards are divided into the 4 colours and linked to territories. I hope I explained this in a way which you/everyone can comprehend... I'm not sure how else to explain it :<

armstrong101
OK - sorry - to revive this thread.

How many wild cards are dispersed in a game? I noticed in a map with 42 countries and 6 players, there's still some wild cards, so the number of wild cards doesn't correlate with the number of neutral countries on the board.

Further question - is it a "hard" number of wild cards that are dispersed, or are the cards assigned as wild is based on a probability? In other words - suppose there are a number/frequency of 2 cards that are wild for a board of 42 countries - if I'm holding 2 wild cards, does that mean no one else is holding any? Or does it mean that all the cards that are not in my possession each have a 2/42 % chance of being wild?

Thanks in advance.

How many black cards? Each map has it's own number. I only know there are 2 in the classical map - I never bothered to investigate for other maps (in this one... I just noticed over time). Rule of thumb..... #territories on a map/20... something like that? =) And no, there is indeed NO correlation to the # of neutrals on a board and the # of blacks. The # of neutrals corresponds to the # of territories and the # of players. #territories/#players = X.Y with X being an integer and Y the decimal part. e.g. if in the classical map (with 42 territories) there are 4 players, each player has 10 territories and there are 2 neutrals (4*10+2=42), with 5 => 5*8+2, with 6 => 6*7 (no neutrals), with 7 => 7*6 (no neutrals), etc....I am unsure why you came to connect it with neutrals?

Each card exists only once (unless specifically mentioned - e.g. here: https://dominating12.com/game/900672 - hover over the icon for cards "Cards (underlined if owned):
Next card bonus: 6"
It'll say: In games where there are not enough cards for all players, the game is played with more than one deck. Cards from the second deck are shown with a number next to the territory name. Games that have multiple decks can be recognised from the icon next to the cards information. The probabilities of getting cards of a certain color in games with multiple decks are slightly different. All cards are shuffled into the card and whenever you succesfully conquer at least 1 country in a turn, you randomly get a card from the deck. The card you have, can not be gotten from the deck anymore, till you turned it in again. So yes, if you hold 2 black cards in the classical map (and are NOT playing with 9 players - but something less), you KNOW noone else has any black cards.
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
See this post: https://dominating12.com/forums/2/general-discussion/2453/wild-cards/post/42925#post-42925

In there it sais, among others this: "The formula is: #wildcards = round(#territories / 21)." This shows you the amount of wildcards for every map. Of course, if you play with a lot of players on a very small map, there may be two (or even more) sets of cards, and therefore more possible wildcards.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
killrick wrote:
wow  i didnt know there was wild cards here!! good to know, guess i should read the forums more often. thx for the post.