• 14 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Hoodlum wrote:
https://dominating12.com/tournament/63
all maps were in the world classic map size range. cards ascending.
This tournament was a best outta 5 games round robin. 15 players total, so 14 opponents which summed up to 70 games each!!
It was a lot of games, and hopefully a best outta 5 was the way to go to be the fairest way to find the best player.
Here is the final result.
https://dominating12.com/tournament/63/participants
Here are the statistics.
1st turn winners. 337
2nd turn winners. 188
As you can see, if you go first, you are going to likely win if all things equal eg: skill, drop, dice.
**The first turn statistic would be a lot more however, missed turns were a factor. Blizzard missed a lot of turns which resulted in last place, and Spartakus also struggled to take all his turns resulting and 14th place (last two positions). remember, they had 70 games each (=140)..approx half of them would be 1st turns, which they probably should have won if they took their turns.

Note**This doesn't take away from the overall result. hooboy11 the winner is highly skilled at 1v1 dm games. his main setting 1v1 sametime. he only had about 25 first turns outta 70. won 48 games. impressive! He managed to win more games from 2nd position i think...(if i counted correctly)

butttt how can we make consecutive 1v1 games more fair? any suggestions?

Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
also..i think 1v1 games should be pointless. top ranked players avoid them like the plague normally...except sametimers. because it kills points...they know it's a gamble game!

a separate ranking system which has been suggested would be cool. 1v1 players need incentives.
winner takes tokens?? i like that incentive :)
dough_boy wrote:
I think that there should be a "balanced drop" setting. Territories are assigned by region, each person gets an even amount and any odd regions get 1 gray (instead of treating them like a 3rd person).

So if it is a 2 territory region, each player would have 1. If it is 5, each player would have 2 and 1 neutral.

Yes, someone could get the 1 region bonus "easy" if they are the first turn, and this doesn't account for if borders on regions are shared, etc. But I think that it would prevent someone from getting all of SA or AU right off the bat. I just had a turn where I was first and I took SA and have most of NA and a North africa blocker...essentially the game is over after 1 turn.

But as I have always said this is probably a 66% chance of winning just by going first. Would also be cool if the first person wins it automatically triggers a rematch, maybe with the same drops, just different start.
Matty wrote:
See also this topic: https://dominating12.com/forums/6/suggestions-feedback/2996/startpos-in-1vs1-games/post/53155#post-53155

The things that are planned to make them a little less depending on luck (though I do not have the illusion that 2p games will ever be really fair), these things are planned:
- Less neutrals
- Generating 5 drops and pick the drop with the smallest region difference
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
GriffinUcos wrote:
Anything happening in the near future?
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."
Matty wrote:
For now this does not have priority for me. So if you want this done quickly, find a volunteer programmer that wants to do this (and that we trust).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
GriffinUcos wrote:
It doesn't have a priority for me either!! I just wondered if you had got anywhere, as your post of 10 months ago seemed to indicate you were looking at it.
Since you haven't, I'll just avoid the lottery that is 1v1.
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."
Matty wrote:
Yeah, I wanted to try for the less neutrals thingy, and then other things popped up. Eh, need more vacation days to fix all the things :/
GriffinUcos wrote:
No vacation is vacation. Manage work life balance. Take more comfort breaks and code in the restroom! ;-)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

GriffinUcos wrote:
Sorry, should read....No, Vacation is Vacation. That comma makes all the difference.
Hoodlum wrote:
just a thought for this topic.

let's say when a game is created the drop is created and visible in a pending game..(turn order remains random).
but then the host has the ability to regenerate a new drop, -- something fairer.
Matty wrote:
Hoodlum
just a thought for this topic.

let's say when a game is created the drop is created and visible in a pending game..(turn order remains random).
but then the host has the ability to regenerate a new drop, -- something fairer.
that would give the opportunity for the host to regenerate untill he has a favorable position.
dough_boy wrote:
I think Hood was indicating that the teams haven't been assigned, e.g. who has what, but could look at the map in general to see if it is a relatively fair drop. After they decide it is, only then the people would be assigned a spot.
Hoodlum wrote:
the favourable position wouldn't necessarily go to the host, it would depend on the turn order. it could backfire if the host's aim was to do that.