feel free to chime in
  • 9 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
Damage_Inc wrote:
This is semi-serious, but your input in filling out the survey is greatly appreciated.

OK. So we all know about the arrogance factor here, and the bravery that anonymous conversation give people (see anything by TP_Knighty, for examples of both), but in one of his unsolicited comments that he feels he has to make (again, due to compensating for something, no clue what it cvould be), he used the word "NOOB". 

Im asking for a clear cut definition of what exactly this insult is supposed to mean. After all, I understand someones fear of the new or unknown, I get that. Especially if they end up beating you at something you mistakenly thought you were the best at and had been doing for ages. Thats obvious. But fear of change aside, I am asking exactly how many games have to be played to make someone a "non-noob"? Do those games have to be of a certain setting? Exactly what passes muster.

I am asking that an official standard be set to explain this word and this concept. Exactly who gets to decide? I have played risk for, well lets just say longer than millennials have been alive, lol. I have played at 4 different sites, dating back to when Brittney Spears was considered hot. Yup, long time. I have played probably well over 10,000 games of all styles of RISK, so am I a "noob"? hmmmmm, lets look further into the problem this words use has, shall we?

Shaggydog called Connerkey and Clydesdale "noobs", in fact he even went to site moderators with those statements. Yet, they have played over 1000 and 21,500 games respectively, how can they be "noobs" compared to a guy who has played only 700? When this was brought to his attention, Shaggy stated that a lot of Clydesdales games were 1v1 and therefore dont count, and that the others didnt play up to the level of play that he found to be considered good. Mind you, both of those guys (and myself), are ALL on the positive side of wins against this guy, so I was left thinking, perhaps he doesnt know what the term "noobs" means. Then I see it used by others who have no clue about whom they are talking about, and never have any argument to go along with their attempt to seem cool in the chatbox. Guys like TP.

So I thought to myself that I needed to find out from the rank and file players, (we cant all ever hope to be as good as those using this term), and find out what YOU think that it means. Rather than write something predictably derogatory about the author asking what this word means, why not jump on, and tell us what it means. I am of the belief that no one here knows, or at least they all have their own version of what it means. 

This is language people and words are supposed to mean things. So please help solve this mystery. All classifications like "noob" have a benchmark that one can achieve to not be a feared noob any longer. If you could include those qualifications as well, I think we would all be grateful. Not only will this make arrogant folks have to have an argument for their bigotry, but expose what makes then so intolerant to believe that anyone who joined anything AFTER they did, is a noob, regardless of experience or even if they have surpassed the number of games the earlier member has played. I would suggest the example format below be followed to get to the bottom of what this word means:

min number of years paying RISK (in ANY form):
number of years at this site:
number of games played:
settings games must be played at to count:
number of previous sites played on:
who player must have beaten:
number of times they have beaten above mentioned player:
whos opinion matters and gets the final say on what makes a "noob":

I thank you for your assistance in this matter.
guill111n wrote:
It is not a matter of how many games you have played, but HOW you play games, and how good your strategy is.

One can play a lot of games, lets say 518 games, and still be a noob with no idea about how to win games....

Wait.... I.... have.... played 518 games :(
elysium5 wrote:
Frome the site rules:

"3. No name calling or harassing players
You can tell a player that they made a bad move if you take the time to explain why, but you cannot call the player names. Attack the strategy but not the person. If an Admin or Moderator reminds you of this rule and you continue to call them names then game chat will be disabled on your account. To harass means to annoy persistently. Do not constantly criticize the same player for the same thing over and over again. Do not follow players around to all their games to make negative comments about them. Do not message someone who has told you to stop messaging them. If an Admin receives multiple complaints about the same player saying or doing annoying things then they will receive an official warning."
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Cireon wrote:
I think everybody is a noob. Nobody is perfect, and nobody can be good at everything, so one way or another we're all noobs. We were all beginners once, I think using noob in a derogatory way is never good. However, I have online friend groups where "noob" can be used as term of endearment. So really, I don't think I have any answers for your survey. I think everybody is a noob, as long as the word is used in a playful or respectful way ;)
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
lazer36 wrote:
calling TP out nice,when hes says noob it's all harmless,he is not a nasty person,
ban for life glad its not real life or why try to improve one self
Sygmassacre wrote:
I know youve posted in forums all over the net before but i still think this following statement qualifies........

This should have been put in the "Off Topic" thread, you noob. /s
A Harmonic Generator Intermodulator
 Σ
aeronautic wrote:
@Syg, best reply ever!
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Dima wrote:
Noob or not noob, i think its much about ur personal opinion about a strategy a player used. If you dont understand/like what the other guy is doing you tend to think that he is an idiot, but it actually only means that you dont understand his strategy, or he simply made a misstacke or was trying out smthing new.

I remember people called me noob, cuz they didnt understood my, strategy and way of playing, but in the end i won the game.

Same happens to me, i dont get why people do what they do, but still they win smtines.

Cheers
"vorple: the real strategy comes when you cant just win cuz you got lucky and got the big card stack"
lazer36 wrote:
i think noob and muppet is a nice way to say you effing idiot,when i use the terns i have a little smile on me face,dont think tp useing it in a harsh way,because when hes uses the term ,hes always looking in mirror
ban for life glad its not real life or why try to improve one self