What's your favourite maps?
  • 16 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Hoodlum wrote:
We got lot's of cool quality maps on our site. What makes a map a good one?

What's your Top 5 maps? Fun Factor / Gameplay / Graphics / Overall

These are mine.

Fun Factor

1. Caribbean (Bought premium because of it)
2. NZ (Turned out to be quite unique with lots of small territories, and balanced ports)
3. Hawaii (Fun in the fog)
4. Saturn Map (Just fun)
5. Switzerland (Unexpectedly fun)

Gameplay

1. Texas (Awesome Big balanced map)
2. Hawaii (Tricky puzzle map)
3. NZ (unique balance of small territories, vs port connectivity)
4. Mediterranean States (Popular for a reason. Circular balance of gameplay? dunno how to describe it lol)
5. World Expanded (Just a good big world map risk players can appreciate and instinctively know how to use it)

Graphics (Maps that please your eye)

1. Italia (Those Mountains - Map inspired me to try making them)
2. Westeros & Essos (Love the realism)
2. Solar System Map (Clever, Pretty colours)
3. Texas (Colour scheme, Balanced, Clean)
5. Philippines (Colour scheme, yeah I know I made it lol.)

Overall Favourite to play on. (Capitals - Sametime player mostly)

1. Caribbean(Fun factor wins)
[image]
2. Texas (Balance of all 3 and specific settings I like to play with)
[image]
3. New Zealand (My country, proud of how this map turned out. real ports, real accurate locations and balance of gameplay)
[image]
4. Balkan Peninsula (Not even in my top 5 of any of the categories, butI like playing on it for some reason)
[image]
5. Mediteranean (Cool for some of my favourite type settings)
[image]
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Matty wrote:
1. Great Britain. By far. It has been my favourite for as long as I can remember, even though it looked horribly bad back in the days. It just has such a perfect gameplay. I don't know why exactly, but every game on it seems to be huge fun and it works with pretty much all game settings, for as long as you have 6 or less players.
Of course, since the remake it looks even more awesome too!
[image]

2. Westeros & Essos. This is the most pretty map we have on the site. I would call it a work of art, wasn't it for the fact that some people say art can only be art if it's useless - this map is not, it's fun to play as well!
[image]

3. World Expanded. This map is huge. Makes for very good games with loads of players, but because of it's tendency to have super regions it still playes very well once the number of players goes down.
Maybe in the future it can use a lick of paint, it's a very busy map to look at.
[image]

Yeah, now it get's hard, there's so many maps that are good and I can only choose two more.

4. Tamriel. Initially I didn't play this map a lot, as it looked very bleak and pale, but even though I thought back then it was one of the ugliest maps on this site I still played it for the gameplay. Very good for 6 or 7 player games. Since it's been retouched a little bit I played it a lot, it's both good fun and good looking now.
[image]

5. Falkland Islands. For some reason that I don't understand people don't really play this one. I have no idea why, it's a very good one, both in looks and in gameplay.
[image]

If I could name two more maps it'd probably be World Classic and New Zealand, because they are awesome too, but I could only name five.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
TheMachiavelli wrote:
My top 3 are:

1) Mediterranean is by far my favourite in terms of fun gameplay. The circularity works really well for same time games which are my favourite.
[image]

2) Italy because it's good fun to play while being very pretty. New Zealand comes second, but it's not as pretty.
[image].

3) Westeros & Essos shiny, polished map. Also fun if you want to be a nerd and re-live some of the books...
[image]
Virtuosity98 wrote:
My favourite 5:

5) Great Britain & Ireland
[image]
The ridiculous amount of time spent on the graphics for the remake of this map was definitely worth it, and like Matty said, the gameplay here is so well-balanced. Great map (of a great part of the world)!

4) Baltic Sea
[image]
I love the large regions in this map, so people do not just gain an easy region and sit back for the whole game (see World Classic). The graphics make this a bright, lively map to use.

3) Texas
[image]
The biggest map here, and one of the best! In my opinion the best aspect of this map is the complex gameplay: not only are the regions balanced, giving everyone a chance to expand in the early game with so many viable options, but also the super-regions are balanced, creating interesting competition in the late game as well. The graphics exhibit amazing attention to detail - from the faded images in the non-playable area, to the eye-catching colour scheme, to the faded Texas flag in the large central region.

2) World Expanded
[image]
Possibly the best gameplay on the site, on the most recognisable map on the site. This has always been one of the very best maps here, and always will be.

1) Westeros & Essos
[image]
The graphics on this map are on a whole new level. The detail and aesthetics are incredible, and so realistic. The gameplay is also excellent, with good connectivity, yet defensibilty of the regions. I've enjoyed every game on this my number one map.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

The_Bishop wrote:
I don't post images because I see all them having been removed.

In my past years at D12 my fav' maps were:
Africa 1890,
Eastern Asia,
Tor,
Great Britain and Ireland,
Dominican Republic.

But now that we have a much larger choise... I think:
Italia,
Baltic Sea,
Westeros & Essos,
Solar System,
World Reduced.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
I fixed all the map images :ninja:
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
I feel like I have to explain to the Hood why I didn't put any of his maps in my top 5 favourites...

First of all, because they are only 5 and it's hard to make a choice, but I tried to be as honest as I can. Basically I think that all Hoodlum's maps are excellent jobs and I like them all. A bit less East Indies probably, I don't know exaclty why, the colours I think. Personally I tend to be more attracted by maps with blue ocean background instead of old paper background. Stupid reason I know, but it's the truth, it's just my personal taste. Philippines I think is very beautiful though.

New Zealand also is amazing and potentially could be my 6th, but probably in this case I'm a bit held back by the gameplay features. Because I'm not a huge fan of having so many such small regions (for my taste regions would be possibly formed by at least 4 territories), and also I'm not a huge fan of all port connected maps (but in this case it was a inevitable necessity). However I have to admit these 2 things work well together for that map, so I can maybe do some re-considerations on the New Zealand map and put it in my top 5...

But still I should choice one to put out of the top 5, that is not so easy! :S
Not my loved Italia for sure!! :D
Polarizing wrote:
For me in Graphics and good to play 4 players or more

1- Italy
2- Iberia
3- Westeros & Essos
4- Baltic Sea
5. Balkan Peninsula

Also Africa 1890 and New Zealand are a cool maps

And for 1vs1 games
1- Brazil
2. World Map
3. United States
!Santiago y Cierra, España!
cbt711 wrote:
Best Capitals Map, Balkan

Best Deathmatch Map, Westeros and Essos

Best Big Map, Italy

Best Small Map, Panama (Waaaaaay better than Caribbean imho)

Best New map, West Indies :pirate: Yarrr!

Best Old Map, Victron

Recused from Solar System / Anchor bay
naathim wrote:
To pick some above others, so hard!

Fun Factor: New York City. I know it's become a little less popular recently, but airports and 6 or 7 players make for a fun game, whether caps or deathmatch. One of the best to play in fog.

Gameplay: Mediterranean. Games on here are just always so much fun. It always seems like a huge map, but it's easy to cross, lot's of different strategies to use or places to hole up.

Graphics: Tied between Solar System and Westeros & Essos. Easily the two prettiest maps to be found anywhere.

Overall: World Expanded. Really all anyone could want in a Risk map. Great gameplay that's a descendant of the original. Just a thoroughly great map. (that's probably in need of a graphics update?)

Runners up (in no particular order): Italia, Tamriel, East Indies, Westeros.
The_Bishop wrote:
Today, 7 years later, I'd rather say:

1. Atlantis
[image]

2. Vikings of Scandinavia
[image]

3. World Non-Classic
[image]

4. Australasia
[image]

5. Brecourt Manor
[image]
periwinkle wrote:
Depends on the settings and type of team play.

Europe 1814 for 2v2
New Zealand and Zealandia for 2v2v2v2 (Zealandia is also good for 4v4)
NYC for 3v3v3 caps
Texas fixed cards unlimited fort for 2v2 :)
sfclimbers wrote:
Caribbean for 1v1, mandatory Adjacent fortification, otherwise all settings are great; fog or sunny, capitals or deathmatch. Anything other than Adjacent ruins the game.

Timor Island and Australasia for 3 player caps. Was initially turned off by Australasia first couple of times I played (didn't like the square territories), now I really enjoy it for the gameplay. Connection (by sea) from Papa Warra Yunti to Mulga Malle (capital in 3p caps) REALLY needs to be made more obvious. Every newby to the map misses this and gets creamed in a surprise attack.

Westeros and Essos is fantastic for 6 player caps

Final choice is hard to call, probably Great Britain & Ireland (3p), but also fond of Falkland Islands (4p), New Zealand (5+), and New York City caps (7+)
Rockbert wrote:
Personally, I love Texas map for 9 player free for all and all level of team play. Also, Australasia for 3 player capitals. 1814 is a lot of fun. Those and New Zealand are some of my all time favorites. 
"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."
- Thomas Mann