Time zone
  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
BrewDog wrote:
What's up with the time lately? I'll check someone's profile to see when they are last active and it'll say 7:30 PM today when it is only 1:00 PM where I am. Is the server in a different time zone? I'd assume yes. Which one so I can add/subtract accordingly.
Cireon wrote:
Currently the server is on Greenwich Main Time (GMT), though I still have a todo item that allows you to select a timezone so that all times are automatically converted to your local time.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
BrewDog wrote:
-6 hours. Fitting, because that's about the temperature here.
Cireon wrote:
Nothing has changed :o
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
mpomp wrote:
Has this been fixed? Because I set the timezone at my profile settings and it displays that data is saved but when I leave the page it gets back to blank.
Madagascarter wrote:
I live in the UK and the time is wrong. It's going by BWT. When is this being fixed so it goes by the time zone you live in?
Playing Deep Sea Adventure, you can't track me

Summer 2 Countdown

Get your purchases in 2 hours beforehand
Matty wrote:
If you and the people you play with see different times because of the different timezones, that can lead to communication problems. I sometimes ask for times in the log, and if you see something different than me, that could be an issue.

So, as a consequence, we have to pick a single timezone that everyone sees - the obvious choice is to pick the same timezone as that the server runs in, which is UTC.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
dough_boy wrote:
Technically you store all of the time as UTC and then when displaying convert it at that time to the users time. Everything would then run in sync at that point. For your asking for time you could also provide the ability to just doubleclick on a time that is say CST for me and have it alert the UTC time. Or even provide a quick toggle on things that would convert times back to UTC real quick if needed.
Matty wrote:
The problem is not at the server end, it's at the users end when, for example, users are typing the time of, say, logs lines in chat.

That was the reason for not changing this a while back at least. I never really bothered about it.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria