• 22 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
Matty wrote:
Vexer - Jan 24, 11:44 PM
with an ID higher than 31265
I'm always surprised to see how computers can be so random at times.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
While I was in there fixing the code I also improved the formula.

It used to multiply the number of tallies you were up against a player by that players skill ratio to calculate how many points you get from them. The problem is that if you are up 50 games against someone you get 50 times the points, but you aren't 50 times better than them.

If you've played 200 games and are up 50 tallies then you have won 125 games and they have won 75 games. You won 125/75 = 1.66 times more games than them so you are 1.66 times better than they are.

In the new formula you multiply 1.66 times your opponents skill ratio to calculate how many points you get from them instead of 50 times.

This flaw in the old formula wasn't obvious when it was first written because most players had only beaten their opponents a few times. But looking at davidechko123's standings and skill level made this all obvious. He is dominating hoodlum by 326 tallies. I'll calculate the points he got from Hoodlum using the old formula and the new to demonstrate the difference.

First we calculate Hoodlums skill ratio which is the tallies he is up against the players he is beating divided by the tallies he is down against the players that are beating him. 1182 / 1579 = 0.749

Old formula:
Points from hoodlum = 326 * 0.749 = 244 points

New formula:
davidechko123 is winning 2.41 times as many games as Hoodlum so
2.41 * 0.749 = 1.8 points

As you can see in this, the most extreme example, there is a big difference. So for davidechko123 his score went down a lot with the new formula. For most players their score only went down maybe 10%, but everyones score did go down.
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Vexer said:
So for davidechko123 his score went down a lot with the new formula. For most players their score only went down maybe 10%, but everyones score did go down.
My skill level went up?? Not that I'm complaining. Maybe it's because there were a few players who were beating me by a lot, but that difference has been reduced now.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Vexer wrote:
Nope, your score is only based on who you are beating, not who is beating you. If they aren't beating you by as many tallies then their score would have gone down.

It went up because skill level hadn't been updating properly since September when we made some database changes. I thought I had fixed the code to work with the changes but I only half fixed it. So you probably defeated a lot of players since september.