Team Tournament 2 vs 2
  • 60 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:
Actualy keep all of us on this way
Other scenarion is about few people to leave and we get tournament on hold maybe never finished...
“Vital lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel delight until you play, can't know serendipity unless you risk.”
periwinkle wrote:
Well, that's part of designing a tournament. You need a process in place when teams drop out. Ive been a tournament operator myself on another site...mostly arranging clan vs clan battles. So yes, it's alot to think about. It's really not a big deal that a tournament doesn't end...no rating points are involved....unlike the tournaments I used to run at my digs...the stakes were higher with points as a prize...the cost to enter the tournament was points, so you win the pot of points at the end....so those tourneys need to be fair. This one here...not so much...it's only tokens which I recall not many donated since many of us were new and had none to give.
periwinkle is online.
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:
That is another question.
I preffer that tournament to be finished
I think 99%✓ players have the same opinion.
Just cant understand diffference why someone can handle 3 games and cant 12
Its not 3 and 120 difference.
I should to close this tournament ,yes it should be round by round but i got few messages from some players and decided to save tournament and keep it running .why because of few players to get tournament fail or others to get waiting ,this was the only solution to create four rounds at once and its just 12 games..just go to participant page and ypu can see how manny already give up
We are at risk to get tourney stop and fail.
I know that always someone find to complain something but im ok with it until I belive that im doing the right thing.
“Vital lives are about action. You can't feel warmth unless you create it, can't feel delight until you play, can't know serendipity unless you risk.”
periwinkle wrote:
Well...maybe you don't have children to take care of? Maybe you are not a doctor dealing with covid patients? Does it matter what the reason is that we cannot handle an extra 12 games? The fact that I didn't sign up for 12 extra games is enough to tell you I don't want an extra 12 games. If you gave us a heads up or warning that you were going to rush through 4 rounds all at once would have been courteous.
periwinkle is online.
dough_boy wrote:
Maybe it is just us but it was 5 rounds at once. I have 20 games, 5 for 1 tournament, so that would be 15/3 = 5 rounds. I had suggested we do more, maybe 2 or 3. We will make due.

Ultimately we signed up for the tournament and expected to play every team. We already had one drop out that was an easy win others got 2 points for. We don’t get that opportunity. So once you have teams leaving, or altering players it presents unfair advantages or disadvantages and makes the tournament almost worthless.
periwinkle wrote:
Yes....I agree....it was a poorly set up tournament to begin with....for future tournaments there needs to be clear expectations of how many games, maps and settings and the number of teams and how teams get eliminated or win so players know exactly what they are signing up for. 
periwinkle is online.
dough_boy wrote:
I am not sure what you are asking for. ALL of that was available up front.

I mean the very first post answers all of your questions:

1. How many games - "Everyone plays with everyone ,each map three games"
2. Maps and settings - "Maps to be played: United States,San Francisco,North America,Oregon Cities,Central America - Classic options ,chained ,no fog,capped 50."
3. Number of teams - "16 teams =32 players"
4. How teams get eliminated or win - "Everyone plays with everyone ,each map three games,points will be determined so that the winners on the map have 1 point with a score of 2: 1 or 2 points in the case of 3: 0"

The problem in this tournament is that we wouldn't start the next round until the current one was 100% finished. So when we would be done, we would have to wait until everyone else was as well. Whereas, had we been able to play one of the teams from the next games to finish we could move along quicker. Ultimately it fell apart by having one or two teams take all of their 48 hours and then some which drags things out. We might be done in a week and a half, but then have to wait a week and a half for the next round.

I think round-robin tournaments probably are too complicated for team tournaments especially in 2v2.
periwinkle wrote:
Yes of the details were there, but it was a little vague on structure....all teams play everyone...was that 3 times each map AND each team?.....so with 16 teams and 5 maps...that would be 15x5x3 games for a total of 225?....that's alot of games, hence I assumed it would last at least a year and I was prepared to stick around that long. Anyway, the post was meant to remind people to be clear about expectations.  I happen to arrange tournaments all the time in my day job for teens....I realized there are many things to think about. Just providing next times. I think round robins can work as long as the structure is provided before people sign up. It's all about managing expectations. 
periwinkle is online.
dough_boy wrote:
It was 16 teams play everyone. So 15. It was 3 games per map, but it is only the 15 matches. So 45 total. It isn't like we would play you 5 times (1 for each map).
periwinkle wrote:
Yes, I realize this now, but it was not clear when it initially started, then BJ posted a chart in our messages that clarified that after we joined....all I was saying that we were expecting it to be a long tournament. 

Let's do the math. Suppose everyone took their entire 24 hours to take their turn, that means each round takes 48 hours. The average game takes let's say 10 rounds. Each games takes 48 x 10 = 480 hours or 20 days or 3 weeks. If there are 15 games 3 weeks x 15 = 45 weeks...that is about 10 months to finish at the rate. So, when I sent out invites to my referrals, I told them it would probably take a year to complete and since we are used to having certain main event tourneys last that long, we all signed up. Anyway, we like a steady flow of games. I think I could work well here, we just need to manage expectations.
periwinkle is online.
dough_boy wrote:
The only way it should have taken as long as you projected and it is was because round 2 couldn’t start until all of games were done in round 1. So if a game had everyone taking 24 hour turns that would be 96 hours (4 days) for 1 round. Small maps like this are likely 6 or so rounds. So that would be 24 days and I think the rounds were averaging 20 days. So everyone is held up just because of one team that is opposite schedules, busy, etc.

I guarantee you ours were decided in 10 days or less, and we had to wait. Heck, we had to wait over a month one round because that team left and they were our opponent.

I was figuring 5 months. Basically 1.5 weeks per round. When it appeared that it was going to take double this that is when I asked to do 2 rounds at a time.
periwinkle wrote:
Oh yes...thanks for the correction...96h...lol...oh well. It happens. We ended up sorta in the same ball park. Well, cheers to better future tournaments then...
periwinkle is online.
Blagoje_Jovovic wrote:
https://imageupload.io/i/gBLYmuKV03
Here is the final stats 1.dough and hooboy 2.. Hortik and bulletproof
3-4 place share team peri & clarke and edman &engelbrekt