should only 10 points be at stake in 2p games?
  • 50 posts
  • Page 2 of 4
Thorpe wrote:
rafcio77 is one of the few players on this site that likes 2 player games...he is the "KING"...his comments should have the most pull when you want to change something. Not mine or yours..and again I said "Let them come of with what they feel is right for the points" if really is a problem!

Vexer you and all the Admin.have alot already on your plate....not this! I feel they come up with something and get it to you...then you can think about it then, not now.With that said you still disagree?

Do you have other things on the list of yours not as important...team games...hidden Caps...cards with just the colors? A lot more to increase the playability of the site!

mmm...
95.5% of the time you kill a players cap before your 2nd turn in... you fail or die next
ZeeBird wrote:
Love the concept of 1x1 only worth +/- 10 points. It will encourage more live gameplay which will in turn encourage more visitors to the site, which means more live game play.
Vexer wrote:
Before I say anything else I want rafio to know that I have looked at the code that randomizes who goes first and I have showed it to Lucide. Lucide is a computer engineer; he should be able to fix it.

Anyway, I think i figured out a new formula for 2 player games that will accomplish my goal of getting more live 2 player games played while at the same time NOT making it easy for high ranked players to 'farm' basics for points.

First lets recap the problem so everything is in one place. The problem is that not enough live games are getting played which is slowing the growth of the site. In particular, since we switched to the new points system there has been a big drop in live 2 player games. This is mainly because it's so common to lose a 2 player game because of bad luck and a high ranked player will lose a lot of points to a basic. The advantage to changing the formula so that high ranked players will be more likely to play 2 player games is that the new players will get to meet the best players and get tips from them and help with learning the site.

So I have a new formula that will solve the problem without creating a new problem. Basically the formula makes it so that you will never lose more than twice the amount of points that your opponent would have lost. This means that if you are a high ranked player who plays a basic and wins 2 out of 3 games against them, then your overall amount of points will remain the same. You will have to win at least 3 out of 4 games to start gaining points. Currently

The formula does not affect the amount of points you win, only the amount that you lose.

First, the points are calculated like normal. Then, if the number of points you will lose is more than double the amount of points your opponent would lose then your point loss will be reduced. This will be much clearer with examples.

Example 1:

Player 1's handle: Basic1000
Player 2's handle: Sergeant3000

Basic1000 has 1000 points and Sergeant3000 has 3000 points.

Current Formula:
First calculate the average. (1000+3000)/2 = 2000
Sergeant3000 would lose 3000/2000 * 20 = 30 points
Basic1000 would lose 1000/2000 * 20 = 10 points
if Basic1000 wins, he gets 30 points and if Sergeant3000 wins he gets 10 points.

New Formula:
Because 30 points is more than double 10 points then Sergeant3000 will now only lose 2 * 10 = 20 points instead of 30, but would still only win 10 points. If they play 4 games and Sergeant3000 wins 3 of them then his gain will be 10+10+10-20 = 10 points.

Example 2:

Player 1's handle: Basic600
Player 2's handle: Dominator4400

Basic1000 has 600 points and Dominator4400 has 4400 points.

Current Formula:
First calculate the average. (600+4400)/2 = 2500
Dominator4400 would lose 4400/2500 * 20 = 35 points
Basic600 would lose 600/2500 * 20 = 5 points
if Basic600 wins, he gets 35 points and if Dominator4400 wins he gets 5 points.
if Dominator4400 wins 3 out of 4 games his overall point loss is 5+5+5-35 = -20
It really doesn't seem fair that he can win 3 of 4 two player games where luck plays such a huge role and have negative 20 points in the end.

New Formula:
Because 35 points is more than double 5 points then Dominator4400 will now only lose 2 * 5 = 10 points instead of 35 points, but would still only win 5 points. If they play 4 games and Dominator4400 wins 3 out of the 4 games then his gain will be 5+5+5-10 = 5 points. So it will be very hard to 'farm' for easy points because the amount of points gained does not change with the new formula. The advantage of the new formula is that it's not such a huge risk to play a 2 player game against a really awful player just for fun or just to help them learn the site and have someone to play with. With the current system Dominator4400 would be crazy to play basic600 because he would lose 35 points, but with the new system, the game might actually get played because he would only lose 10 points.

What happens if the two player's points are closer together? One last example:

Player 1's handle: Sergeant2000
Player 2's handle: Sergeant3000

Sergeant2000 has 2000 points and Sergeant3000 has 3000 points.

Current Formula:
First calculate the average. (2000+3000)/2 = 2500
Sergeant3000 would lose 3000/2500 * 20 = 24 points
Sergeant2000 would lose 2000/2500 * 20 = 16 points
if Sergeant2000 wins, he gets 24 points and if Sergeant3000 wins he gets 16 points.

New Formula:
Because 24 points is NOT more than 2 times 16, the points are not modified. Sergeant3000 will still lose 24 points. If they play 3 games and sergeant3000 wins 2 then he will gain 16+16-24 = 8 points.

If I explained it properly then this new formula should make rafcio and sekretar very happy.

I think what I have come up with is fair and will help the site grow. What do you think?
rafcio77 wrote:
I think I stated it clearly that I don't mind losing 35 points when there are only 5 to gain so the new formula is rather on the bottom of my priority list. The main issue for me is who goes first in 2p games and I would be happy if this problem was fixed.
Vexer wrote:
I think you are unique in that rafcio, most people don't want to lose 35 but gain only 5.
thaithai wrote:
if i play 1vs1 i would play sametime instead sequence, newbie don't play sametime as well as me. with vexer's formula , i still farm newbie well
Vexer wrote:
i would love to see you try and farm newbies with the new formula, then we will have lots more live games. If you prove to me that you can gain too many points playing 2p games with noobs then I can just change the 2 to a 2.1 or 2.2 or whatever it takes. It will be easy to adjust until it is right.
Vexer wrote:
get started farming thaithai, the formula has been changed. i will adjust if needed based on how well you can farm.
Leedog wrote:
Sounds good Vex, look forward to playing 2 player games again, once (if) I survive this map making process!!
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I have a suggestion about this games (only about the game and not the points).
We have 2 players, Red and Black. Red goes first.
Red can see the board but the provinces will be Neutral (Grey), Player1´s provices (Blue) and Player´s provinces (Green).

Now Red has to decide what he wants:
1)The best distribution of countries chosing which player he wants to be.
2) Be the first player in attacking (so, Black can decide which distribution of provinces he wants).

I think this way of playing can balance the game
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Vexer wrote:
So let me get this straight. The player who goes first can decide between being the first player to attack or getting to choose which drop he or she wants. And they can't see the drops until after they first decide whether or not to be the first to attack. Am I understanding your idea correctly?

If so then I think this is a great idea.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
My sugestion is that the first player can decide when he sees the board because if everythig depends on luck the second player can be in the worst situation (The first player decides he starts and if they can´t see the board the second player can have the bad drop; in that case "it would be his fault" because he chose but the game it´s still unbalanced)
Vexer wrote:
I am sorry but we are having translation issues here. I don't understand what you are saying.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I say that the player who "plays" first can see the board before deciding what he wants (ROLLS FIRST or PREFERED DROP).

Imagine that players cannot see the board; it`s always better to chose ROLLING FIRST because the second player may chose the "bad DROP".