It's too short!
  • 30 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
vikingo1337 wrote:
Let's face it. The five spots on the Avoid List are completely insufficient for basic members on D12. Especially if you've got a high rank. Then you run into a lot of people who are gunning for you – most of whom you cannot add to the list, because it's already full.

I therefore propose that the Avoid List is expanded from five to 10 spots for all basic members. It wouldn't solve the problem completely (so there's still an incentive to upgrade to a premium membership), but it sure would help a lot. Especially at the moment where the coronovirus lockdown seems to have increased the number of new and active players on D12.
"The brave man well shall fight and win, though dull his blade may be."
~Fafnismal 28
AlexCheckMate wrote:
I can totally see where this comes from and can relate as a non-premium member. However, I actually see this as a perfect split between basic/premium members. There's no need at all to have an avoid list (and even less of a need for a bigger one), yet the opportunity exists to get rid of this nuisance by upgrading. One can perfectly play and enjoy games here, without it.

That said, if the change were to come, I would totally make use of it too, as my lists (friend one too) are also full.
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
AlexCheckMate
There's no need at all to have an avoid list (and even less of a need for a bigger one), yet the opportunity exists to get rid of this nuisance by upgrading. One can perfectly play and enjoy games here, without it.

AlexCheckMate
That said, if the change were to come, I would totally make use of it too, as my lists (friend one too) are also full.

Forgive me if it's incorrect, but this sounds like a total self-contradiction.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
DurandalBlue wrote:
I agree it would be nice if the avoid list were longer. With the amount of players on here 5 is just too limited to weed out bad players who ruin games for others.
vikingo1337 wrote:
That post did not make a lot of sense to me either, aeronautic. Regardless of how eloquent it was.

This is not about whether the game is playable or not without an Avoid List. I think everyone can agree that we need the list, and that the game would be worse off without it.

This is about removing an obstacle that makes the game cumbersome to senior players. It's about offering more quality, not less, to basic members.

Besides, there are plenty of other reasons to upgrade to premium.
~Fafnismal 28
AlexCheckMate wrote:
aeronautic
AlexCheckMate
There's no need at all to have an avoid list (and even less of a need for a bigger one), yet the opportunity exists to get rid of this nuisance by upgrading. One can perfectly play and enjoy games here, without it.

AlexCheckMate

Forgive me if it's incorrect, but this sounds like a total self-contradiction.

No forgiveness needed - I can totally see the message having the ability to come across kinda weird.

Think of it this way. I take the train from London to Oxford, as I need to commute there as a student for university. I can go travel business/first class, or second class.
Both will be perfectly fine - the first will be finer. If I want to opt for the finer option, I can chose to pay more, to get this option. I, as a student, decide to be fine enough with second class.
Now the traincompany gives me the option to stay with the same monthly subscription (I do not pay more), while also being allowed to travel business/first - it'll come as no surprise that I'll take the more luxurious option now.

I believe that the non-paying variant we have in this game, should allow for all the needs normal game-play can require. I believe that an (increased) avoid/friend list isn't a vital function with respect to game-play - they are, in my eyes, perfect examples of something to swipe under the premium package. They are something I'll happily use, provided I can.

So, if I were to talk in this thread with just my own gain in mind, I would totally support the idea. Keeping an eye at D12 as a business, I would however say it's fine as it is.

I hope this makes more sense now.

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
vikingo1337 wrote:
Good thing D12 is not your business then, Alex.

I'm gonna give your train analogy a pass I think. Life's too short.
It is interesting, however, that you like the idea, but still oppose it...

I have already refuted the premium argument twice now, and to be honest, I don't think there's any other argument against expanding the Avoid List. It needs to be done if senior players are to be spared murder-suicides time and again by a steadily increasing pool of noobs. Provided we still want people to mix and match.

I’m sure having an Avoid List with only five available spots on it made sense ten years ago when the site was smaller and had fewer players, but today it is totally insufficient for basic members.

So now I'm just waiting for someone with stripes to tell me if this suggestion has merit or not, and if it can be done. Aeronautic, Matty?
~Fafnismal 28
Fendi wrote:
vikingo1337
I’m sure having an Avoid List with only five available spots on it made sense ten years ago when the site was smaller and had fewer players...
I just wanted to pitch in and say that this was on of the reasons to why we limited it to 5.
Alventio wrote:
As a noob myself I struggle to play against senior players. So why don't you train us to play better instead of exile us to the rubbish bin.
Alventio wrote:
You have been playing for years, while us new players only a few weeks or months. Surely if you want your site to grow maybe you should include us not discourage us.
aeronautic wrote:
@Alventino, you can call upon most staff members and ask for advice, help and/or training. Most will be happy to give you their time if you are serious about improving.
High ranked veteran players will also be very helpful and can make training games, by placing a statement in the game chat "This game is a training game and all points and stats will be returned upon completion". They then only need send a message to an Admin with the game number and all players in the game get all of their points & stats back.

I must say though that, not all new players are like you and most don't really want to learn or indeed, be told anything about the way that they play and do cause a problem for those who stand to lose a lot from a ruined game, such as players with high points.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Alventio wrote:
Thank you @aeronautic for your advice. I was unaware you could ask for help. I understand that we can be frustrating at times and am pleased that we may ask for help. All I want to is improve so that at some point in the future I might become a senior and not cause to much disruption for others. Nobody wants to constantly loose or ruin other peoples enjoyment.
This advise has been most helpful.
vikingo1337 wrote:
Still kind of hoping that someone higher up the food chain will take this suggestion up for consideration.

Is anyone out there? *Echo*
~Fafnismal 28
Matty wrote:
Ask Fendi I guess. Personally I don't really care either way.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
It doesn't get any higher up the "food chain" than the reply above.
Fendi
vikingo1337
I’m sure having an Avoid List with only five available spots on it made sense ten years ago when the site was smaller and had fewer players...
I just wanted to pitch in and say that this was one of the reasons to why we limited it to 5.