Need to be able to add extra time more than once douring a game
  • 21 posts
  • Page 1 of 2
Agamemnon wrote:
I think there is a need to allow players to add extra time to their turn more than once during a game. If you survive late in the game and the field of players has been trimmed down, you often have to plot out complicated circuitous paths in order to wipe out another player and have yourself positioned well in the end. The website might also not be processing quickly at the time making it even more difficult. I find that I often run out of time midway through my turn during the late part of games. Perhaps, it would be possible to award each player an additional extra time option every five rounds or so. That would allow you to take longer turns late in games but wouldn't allow you to abuse this feature early in the game when turns should be taken very quickly.
The_Bishop wrote:
I agree with more extra time's.

I suggest starting with 3 and get 1 more every 4 rounds.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
maafi wrote:
I agree... and with Bishop's suggestion. It's one of the reasons I play few live games. My old brain needs time to get all its cogs whirring.
Let’s play Twister, let’s play risk
Matty wrote:
You start out with 1 add timer, and as the game goes on, you receive more. I don't know by heart how much they are - it depends on the game type (increasing cards get more than no cards games) and if it's live or long term.

Note that on the old site we started out with only one because there were many noobs abusing it and add both timers (originally we started out with 2) and then just left the site - as a result, the victor had to wait 4*5 minutes for nothing...
Now you can't add all timers at once anymore (you can still add 2 in a turn, but then you have to wait untill the timer drops below 5 minutes (or whatever turn time) and then you can add one more), so we can start out with more timers.

I'd like to hear opinions of other players and admins before I add some though.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
As a live player, and with many games under my belt, I have never needed to use any extra add time than what is available by the time it's needed, there has always been enough for me. So my opinion there is, that perhaps 3 minutes isn't suitable for some players and that for some settings (capped games?) maybe the turn length is better suited to 5 to 7 minutes or just long term. Long term games can be organized to play live, with friends just the same, then you have all the time in the world. Also, if there is a game attendant available, players left in a game can request to change the turn length. Plenty of options in my opinion.
Now from a moderating point of view. I've just seen so many cases coming from new players and even regular players who are sore losers, just add time to be annoying, usually it's a 2p setting though. New players usually don't realize there is an add time option until they run out of time then wish there was, or they forget to end turn. But by that time they have learned the interface, gotten faster for live play, become regular players, they have then developed, so I think it's all fine the way it is. Overall, my opinion is. It's fine how it is.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum is online.
Matty wrote:
Just asking: is it also ok for you to just add 1 additional add timer? You can't use both of them right next to each other, so abuse will be less.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Hoodlum wrote:
oh. i don't think i've been in that scenario since the migration. before so, when it was that time to make a move in a live game. i would use up all my add time in a block, just in case i disconnect or have internet issues. so i'm assuming then that at the moment you can't add time more than once in the same turn? Well in that case, I think you should be able to, but yeah. that sounds like a good solution. where they can't add a whole bunch of time then go afk to be a bad sport.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum is online.
The_Bishop wrote:
My problem is with multiplayer increasing games. Usually I play my turns very quickly, but when the game arrives at the crucial stage (that is definitely before round 10) there I need to add time to think. 3+5 = 8 minutes in total, that is for me 6 or 7 minutes thinking and 1 or 2 acting. The problem is if after having wasted my add time I decide that is not the right moment to go for it, then I know I am lost, because I have not another possibility to think in the next round (unless I menage to survive till round 10).

Well okay I am a slow thinker probably, but I noticed people less expert than me, sometimes need a lot of time for simply basic tactics, especially when they play new maps. I noticed also Axobongo's comment on Iberia map and I think it depends also by the large size of the map. Anyway several Moderators, when in the game, offer to add time to everybody asking, just because normally everybody agrees not to ruin the game with "failing in time" moves.

So, yes I would like to have more time-adders and I think it will benefit for the quality of the games.
I recommend also the use of 5 minute turns when needed.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Axobongo wrote:
i agree with bishop. and also am fine with only 1 extra time usable per turn.    There must be other ways to deal with the rare abuser than prevention of optimum play by those that play .
Big maps like iberia and expanded get near impossible when down to 2 people as it is now (+ interface ) perhaps some maps should have some extra times?
 i dont believe original Risk has a time limit, its mainly practical for internet.
Matty wrote:
Currently there is 1 add timer once you start a game (I will change this soon to 2).
Then for increasing games, you get one more every 10 rounds.
For fixed and no card games you get one more every 50 rounds.]
For capped card games you get one more every min(50, round(800 / card_cap)).
So for a cap of 50, you get one every 16 rounds, and for a cap of 25 you get one every 32 rounds for example.
AlbertEinstein wrote:
Have you thought about The_Bishop suggestion?

I believe that, sometimes, two add timers are not enough. Specially, when you are playing in a big map with many players.
In order to kill a player, you usually need to use one extra time, depending on the lag and the amount of troops that you have to kill. Currently, after killing a player you get extra time for that turn which is good if you are planning to kill more players in that turn. However, sometimes, you need to kill several players in different turns but you only have two extra timers.

As an example check the log of this game https://dominating12.com/game/632155. First I used an add timer to kill purple and I could also kill black and orange in that turn. In the next turn I had to use an add timer to kill yellow. Then, in the next turn I tried to kill red (which would have secured my victory) but I run out of time and gave the game to green (btw, it was round 10, I thought I had an extra add timer but I didn't, I'm not sure if it is a bug or if you have to wait for round 11 in order to get the extra add timer).

Perhaps, it would be a good idea to obtain an extra add timer everytime you defeat a player. I don't think it would be too much. However, If you feel that it is too much, you could remove the extra time that you currenly receive after killing a player (the one that you get automatically but you can only use in that turn) and get an extra add timer instead, that you could use in that turn or in the following turns. This way, there won't be any difference between killing several players in one turn and killing several players in different turns.

Is not only about thinking fast. Sometimes even if you play as fast as posible you need more add timers for optimum play.
CheekyTeeky wrote:
I have found myself in a similar predicament to Bishop and Einstein. Playing on smaller devices like tablets and phones naturally takes longer and trying to kill a player who is sitting on more than 100 troops will make me very nervous if I have less than two add time options available . Maybe the number of add times could be influenced by the number of players as a variable...like 2p should not have an add time function at all and other games should start with (add time x number of players) and additional time added every 4 rounds after the 6th/7th round which would be great if like Matty said only one add time can be used until the timer drops below the game turn time length before the player can request to add time again in the same round. It could even be worth while adding in a delay rule so add time cannot be used for the first few rounds.

You have a keen military mind Pod...
elysium5 wrote:
Another good use for tokens, perhaps? Use tokens to purchase add time during a game?
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
elysium5
Another good use for tokens, perhaps? Use tokens to purchase add time during a game?
That would give an advantage to some players over others. Adding time is there to make sure that a game is not ruined because of someone not having the time to think or finish a off a player if he really needs it.