Have you ever mistakenly chatted to your team in the wrong chat window?
  • 29 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
aeronautic wrote:
I think in team games, it's more a case of hasty chat within a limited time frame that causes what may appear to be idiotic actions. I prefer to think of it as, "it's human nature to make errors", especially in an overstressed environment.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
TheWarDoctor wrote:
If you add a confirmation only on the game chat and not the team chat, they won't automatically click it, since they won't be used to it popping up.
PsymonStark wrote:
And if they want to post in the game chat it will become annoying.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
TheWarDoctor wrote:
Regarding the different color tab for the team chat, I just noticed that, regardless of the browser, when the page first loads, the team chat tab is brown even if the game chat tab is the one in view. Once you select a different tab, the team chat tab changes to match the other tabs. Thus, When you first navigate to the page, it can give the illusion that you are on the team chat tab due to the color difference.
aeronautic wrote:
Yes, as I remember, this used to mess with my feeble brain when I played a team game. The fact that I didn't click on it and it looked selected was bad enough, but if I clicked somewhere else and it changed colour..... FIZZ, BANG, MELTDOWN.... TIME RUNNING OUT AND I NEED TO REBOOT MY BRAIN!!!!

I understand the programmers wanted to highlight its presence, but for someone who could just see it and understand what it was for, it really threw me off balance.

The problem I always found was that Team Chat was prone to freezing and so I'd have to refresh, then the default tab would become the Game Chat.
Perhaps making Team Chat the default tab, might eliminate all these concerns?

Remembering that there is no exposure of secrets and strategy to the opposition if you incorrectly write something meant for all, in the Team Chat. You simply click the Game Chat tab and write it again.

This would also help with new players that are unaware that they need to talk to their team mate or even that they are in a team game.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
PsymonStark wrote:
Also maybe a clickable message go to team chat/go to game chat in a way that it changes the relative position between chatboxes?
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
elysium5 wrote:
If you make something idiot proof, they will just make a better idiot.
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."
Matty wrote:
The red thing around the tab (not sure what brown thing you are talking about) shows when there are (potentially) unread messages
(it doesn't remember every message, so at page load it just shows you it's unread).

It can also appear around the normal game chat tab, even in non team games. (For example, stare at the game log while someone else chats something).
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Virtuosity98 wrote:
I like aeronautic's idea.
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

Matty wrote:
I don't like automatic team chat open at all, as the first thing anyone should do when he opens a game is read the (public) chat.

What would be really nice is if someone could actually delete his own chats, so that he can just cancel it. I won't get to do that for a while, but it's just an idea - anyone?

I added "To all:" and "To team:" in front of the chat bars, so for now it should be a little bit clearer again.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
aeronautic wrote:
I don't think being able to delete your own chat is a good idea.

You will have people who swear at, name call, abuse and threaten other players and then delete what they said so that Moderators don't get to see why somebody is so offended or acting retaliatory.
Matty wrote:
What if the moderators can see deleted chats anyways (except in their own games?) and you can only delete chats from the last, say, 5 minutes?

(The deleted chat should be marked a bit different).

Right now all deleted chat (only mods can delete chat) is still visible in the database...
aeronautic wrote:
I knew you could still see it in the database and that only Game Attendants + (I had Game Attendant access and also had access to delete chat) can currently delete chat.

Matty
What if the moderators can see deleted chats anyways (except in their own games?) and you can only delete chats from the last, say, 5 minutes?
I think this overly complicates things.

Personally I don't think giving players an option to delete chat in any way would be productive. There will be abuse!

I understand you don't like the Team Chat being the default chat, but in team games, it is the primary chat area and the game chat is secondary. Currently, players have to select the primary team chat and when they refresh, which happens often, the secondary game chat appears, because it is the default and this is why players type secret tactics in the wrong area, exposing vital details to their opponents.

If I am sounding stuck on the idea, it's because of a lack of a better option right now, I am all for a better idea, but a nice simple one that doesn't open any doors to exploitation or over complication.

I will also keep thinking of a better option and hope that it doesn't become something hard to code or difficult for the Moderators & Players to get to grips with.