solutions
  • 56 posts
  • Page 4 of 4
tramadol wrote:
I thought rolling ranking was a good idea, but it has just dawned on me that whether rolling rank or standard current rank, the Same Time players would still be the top ranks as these guys win ratio is high, very high. The guy that knows the glitches/technique and has a fast computer will win a Same Time game almost every time.
I in no way want to take away the ability of some players to gain a huge amount of points from a certain type of game, but these guys have the means to rank quicker and easier by comparison than anyone else who plays the conventional game and rolling ranking will only mean this stays exactly the same, if not more so.
As I said earlier, if you have a win ratio of 1 in 3 which is pretty much normal for any decent player, you will slowly get to an above average rank, but you will never be considered the best over a month, 100 games or a lifetime.
I think I heard, somewhere in a thread, a suggestion of separate points for Same Time players/games? What about standard rank points only being applied, in whichever format is decided, to Deathmatch & Capitals (Muzitals) games and have a mirrored rank for Same Time if played, as the 2 are clearly not both about the same abilities?
@lifeinpixels Surely anyone can quit while they are ahead in the current format and in rolling rank, however this doesn't do much for ones competitive nature (i.e. risk players).

Thinking about it rolling rank is a little confusing! What would be the 100 game start/reset point? Would you always start at Zero points every 100 games?
tramadol wrote:
Out of Edit Time....
If not synchronised throughout D12, wouldn't some be at a High Rank whilst some are just starting their climb once more from Basic? Wouldn't the wide variety of ranks be somewhat confusing for players who don't know the good players showing Basic and in the same respect, wouldn't this put us back to square one where the current shown rank of a player is not representative of their true abilities and status?
bluebird005vis wrote:
@ lifeinpixels,
you are correct but you need to play at least 30 games a month to be able to qualify for the D12.
I see no reason to change this.
So if and when you get a high rank, if you want to keep it of course you could by not playing anymore games.
But I'm pretty sure that even the most rank-obsessed players will still want to play games even if it means there ranking could drop.

@ tramadol,
I've only played a couple of same time games precisely because of all the problems.
Until and if they can be resolved I see no reason to make a new ranking just for that type of game.
Most decent players who's computers are not fast enough will stop playing that type anyway.
So unless it is fixed this type of game will simply vanish.
Of all the same time games that I've played on the internet the only ones that worked where the ones that had complex rules for when 2 or more players attack each other simultaneously.
Usually it's something along the lines of "the player with the biggest army has precedence over the other players".
Risk was never made to be played simultaneously and it shows, I think it will be very hard to make this work and nearly impossible to keep the cheaters and suicidebunnies at bay.
I understand the potential appeal of trying to make this type of game work but I'm afraid they have opened pandora's box with this 1.

Win ratio is not the be all and end all of obtaining a high rank.
The vast majority of the games I play are 8 or 9 player games and if I'm doing well I win 1 in 4 games I enter.
And I'm consistently in the top 30 I think, because of the rank-dodgers I can't be sure how high or low my rank is exactly ;)

There would be no reset after a 100 games, what happens is that when you play your 101st game the points ( if any ) you won from the 1st game you played are replaced with the points ( if any )you win in the 101st game you played.
The points from the 2nd game you played are replace with the points of the 102nd game when you finish that 1 and so on and on.
At all times your ranking points = to the points you earned in the last 100 games you've completed.
This is what I mean when I say this would introduce pressure in a way there isn't now.
For example: between the 40th and 55th game you played you where never defeated, you won every game you played.
When you start the 140th game you know you have to win the next 15 games just to stay even.
This is how the ranking system in tennis works and it makes for a more exiting and dynamic ranking system.
It also has other effects: lets say the 40th game you played and won was a 9 player game with high ranking players and you won 150 points that game.
If the 140th game you play you enter a 2 player game with a low ranked player the best you can hope for is to win and get 20 odd points.
So you've won but the 150 points are now replaced by 20.
It gets even worse if you won the D12 ( this than would be the equivalent of the slams in tennis ) because you earn an extra 250 points if you win ( if I'm not mistaken ).

tramadol wrote:
Okay bluebird005vis, I understand you now!
Sounds a bit more realistic and much more difficult to maintain rank, could be challenging! See what others think!?
cbt711 wrote:
Meanwhile Zocpoc is in a game where his ratio to the average points will net him about 55 points for beating 5 players. He will lose about 65 points for the loss. Crazy. That guy is my hero.

I think rank should be the same, but maybe make skill points a rolling stat? Or just have a rolling skill point added, that does exactly what skill points does but just for the last 100 games played. Boom. Done.
tramadol wrote:
cbt711
Meanwhile Zocpoc is in a game where his ratio to the average points will net him about 55 points for beating 5 players. He will lose about 65 points for the loss. Crazy. That guy is my hero.
That's bad odds to maintain rank for most of us!

I wouldn't mind if the auto skill calculator was up and running in it's current state.
SpamFree wrote:
I hope you're right Dracarys, but I doubt it.

Still not a fan of auto-rank ;)

JoeySe7en wrote:

I would like to see a change in the ranking system.

why rank up besides to show that you are moving up in the military and spending tokens.

Make it worth something.
Say two players with same 2000 battle rating, but the player who has higher rank would be worth a certain amount of points,say 100.So even a player with more battle points might be rank lower.
But lower the cost(tokens) to upgrade.the few online risk sites I play on have all seen drop in players. :(

Another idea is have 3 or 4 + player rank games.with the winner moving up and the loser moving down a rank,unless you are a
Private.I do not see this happening.On another site it is called levels.And it is separate from your score.

So at anytime anyone can see the top scoring player for the last hour,day,week,month,year and any time with a simple search.
It is the same with levels.