• 39 posts
  • Page 2 of 3
lifeinpixels wrote:
FYI the front page needs to be updated, it still lists only two gametypes in the description.
Matty wrote:
Just finished a game on this, was really nice, but won it quite easily, by capturing all those 1's ppl leave behind their borders.

I guess ppl will learn to leave 2's behind their lines and put some less defence on their borders, than it will become more difficult.
Was on a map with ports - ports are really powerfull with this gametype.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
I suggest not playing it on korea-japan unless everyone playing is good at domination.
Cireon wrote:
I have reduced the 2p percentage to as far as 55%, as the current percentage was almost equivalent to completely killing a player.

Please post any thoughts on this change and feel free to experiment with other options too.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
The_Bishop wrote:
I think the Domination it is not suitable for 2p games, nor increasing games. Better fixed or capped, with 4p or more. I tried it out in a couple of live games and the problem is that ppl are not used yet to play it and they leave too much 1-troop territories.

Since I haven't enjoyed the Domination yet. I think it should be not only shorter but even a bit different in strategy. Everybody must keep his territories strong, such as in Capitals everybody must keep his capital strong.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
Could it be possible to play a Caps game with the domination option? I mean, it would be two ways of winning:

1) As a usual caps game.
2) With the domination option (% of countries according to the number of players)

Yesterday I wanted to create this game to invite some players I like to play with but I found I had to chose one of the options: Caps or Domination. I think it could be interesting, becuase you have to balance the protection of your capital and some paths to avoid some player conquer a lot of territories.
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Matty wrote:
The way it is now, no, not really. It's a completely different game type, not an addition for deathmatch games.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
Vexer wrote:
It could be programmed but would have to be a completely different game type called Domination Capitals. You couldn't simply select both Domination and Capitals options.
Cireon wrote:
Yes, it could be added quite easily, but I don't think it should be.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
Vexer wrote:
Yes, the problem with it is that you would just need to take out 2 players in a 5 player game to win and that pretty much will be determined by who gets to go first and whether or not they can get a card every turn.
MuzuaneAskari wrote:
I think if you play with experimented players it's not so easy to win. I never played this game but I have done it in a similar way and it's really funny (to eliminate a player you had to conquer all the capitals he hold; which obviously means that you can hold more than one cap).
Gato que avanza, Perro que ladra
Matty wrote:
Ok, after playing quite a number of domination games (fixed or a low cap), this is what I have to say.

First of all I really like the game type, it's a good combination of the skill needed for fixed games, and the length of increasing games.
It's also pretty nice with FOG.

I have encountered two problems: The first one is that its a bit suicide vulnerable. Still alot less than increasing capital games, so no complaints here.
The second one is that there is that small domination games (< 5 players) are finished pretty fast, but >6 player games tend to take a long time (when people know not to leave 1's behind their borders that is). In fixed games at least you can weaken yourself to kill some one else, but in domination games that sometimes leaves too big a gap, causing these games not to end.

So I would suggest lowering the %'s needed for large player games.

How do you guys think about this?
The_Bishop wrote:
I was thinking to type that Domination works nice... but in fact Matty's suggestion is smart. Large players' should be faster!

What about to double your starting territories? For example if you start with 8, you need to conquer 16 in order to win.

The result would be this:
2/3p---67%
4p-----50%
5p-----40%
6p-----33%
7p-----28%
8p-----25%
9p-----22%
(can be a bit less bcoz of neutrals)
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Cireon wrote:
2p - 55%
3p - 60%
4p - 55%
5p - 52.5%
6p - ± 51.3%
7p - ± 50.6%
8p - ± 50.3%
9p - ± 50.2%

These are the current percentages. I do not want to fiddle too much with the 2p - 5p percentages, because these seem to work quite fine.