Map creation
  • 71 posts
  • Page 4 of 5
The_Bishop wrote:
aeronautic wrote:
I didn't enhance the Signature because, it wasn't mentioned previously and I didn't recognise it as unreadable (like some have been).
I did enhance the X's though.

I didn't have to do much, because Psymon had already refined the map and actually did quite a few of the things I planned to do. No surprise to me! (Y)
All my changes were tiny things, probably not noticeable to the players, but they were necessary refinements.

I made a new mini map frame & key frame because they were slightly angled (quicker to remake).
I made new crosses to match Hood's crosses so that I could use a stroke outline, which allowed me to play with the cross colour and outline colour quickly to find the best contrast.
I moved the Key info down 1 pixel to align in the frame.
I changed the colour of the Boyacá territory because it was very close to the oranges of the Mexico region.
I changed the colour of the Apure territory because it was too different to the other tints of yellow and gave the effect of a gap in the land.
I made a new mini map to suit the new territory colours.
Current Beta Map (click to show)
aero edits (click to show)

Please check that nothing has been left switched off and that all fonts have remained as intended.

I like the new colours on Gran Colombia (yellow) region.
The X's are looking well visible now, thanks.

The other things you mentioned are invisible things for my eye, so I assume they are fine!
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Virtuosity98 wrote:
Nooooooooooooo Aero you ruined everything!!!!! :'( :C :( :| :) :] :D ^^ :pirate: :roll:
It is now Day 8. Please submit your Lynch vote, as well as any Role-specific Day actions you wish to perform (countdown).
Day Actions:
• #LYNCH [player], #NO LYNCH, #ABSTAIN in forum thread.
• Role-specific actions (via PM with V98).

PsymonStark wrote:
Lol, with that many layers at 4% it's tough to check if nothing has been switched off. But yep, great improvement overall.

I still see some pixels in the fix for the Panama Channel. I thought I had fixed it all but it looks like I didn't :S
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
aeronautic wrote:
Thanks Spy,

I will take a look at the Panama Channel and correct that before uploading the image and before I pass the source file back to You, Hood & Fendi (for safe keeping).
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
I also smoothed the pixilation on the Panama territory and have uploaded the new image.

I didn't bother making new thumbnails because the changes will be mostly unnoticeable anyway.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
LOL :D
It's Him for real! Look at the map in the pocket!
PsymonStark wrote:
lol :D normally I don't really look that good in pictures.
Living proof that everyone can be a brilliant great good decent cartographer.
Matty wrote:
You sir, are a genius ^^
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Hoodlum wrote:
First game on it.. was nice
Soon as game started, felt like it was an old map already, instant familiarity with the shape because of Central america map, as my first focus was set up on the lower half of the map. But then again i spent so many hours looking at it lol. But I almost forgot it wasn't west indies, till I scrolled up a little. It was only a 2p DM game, and the drop was quite fair with the neutrals landing on all the connection line territories which were untouched for the whole game. so it turned out that we both got a big region each mexico or gran columbia (not claimed) but defended by neutrals. Made for the game to be like an obstacle with the neutrals. Throughout the game, it was anyones win. I thought i had the advantage after a consecutive trade, but opponent managed
to score Lesser Antillies where my dice failed to break the region on the second trade, and that was that!. . I predict a homerun for 2 player games!

FUN, location recognition, figure 8 gameplay like med stats, and nice bright friendly colours :) Fun in the sun
huskers01 wrote:
In really like this map.. The game play is very fluid. I'm not seeing any changes that I would do at this time. The super region seems to become the can't kill me region to stack extra troops. Makes kill runs a little tougher but that part of the fun setting up the prefect kill.great job hood.. Great map
The_Bishop wrote:
Good job, Hood! I haven't been much time to play it yet, but it looks like people are appreciating.
Really I had the honour to play the very first game, but it doesn't count because it was annulled for stalemate.
supiachao wrote:
I have to say I really enjoy playing this map especially on same time setting. The connection and everything is great for same time game.
Good job, hoodlum.
Any other thoughts for West Indies map?
Matty wrote:
I like it. Only thing is that it's easy to split the entire map in two, while defending only two points. So that's a huge chokepoint there.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes true, it's a bit choked in the middle, I also said that. But I think the map has been modified so that 3 points are required now to defend half of the map. But still I can see a great area (one third of the map) that you can lock by 2 points only (Gran Colombia region + Lesser Antille region + Rep. Dominicana).

The issue could be solved by just connecting Jamaica and Magdalena if required. But really I think I would keep it as it is. Choked maps are just the most loved maps, see for example the 3 most played of the site: Caribbean, United States and Medy States. As mentioned by Hoodlum, this one has a sort of mediterranean shaped gameplay, just good!

Choking points (click to show)
Matty wrote:
Yeah, I agree that the map is fine. Just my thoughts on it :)
Axobongo wrote:
- i wish somehow Beta testing included trying two versions of a map. 
Its a fine map the way it is. But i cant stop thinking how i would like to compare it to a map with a ship rout between Cauca and Mexico, as the distance between south and north is kind of warped, and challenging for those extremes to meet . Yet having said that, its the charm and character of this map, and any weird terrain can be the circumstance. But a Pacific rout would give it a more rounded edge.
So much focus on the Antillas isles is somehow era correct. However if there were war of this scale during that era, i am sure they would build some ships for the pacific.
Anyways, i would think co-creators would have differing opinions on questions like that to mull over at times. So wouldn't it be nice to actually test with gameplay different concepts.