From Boston to New York City
  • 13 posts
  • Page 1 of 1
The_Bishop wrote:
This map idea began from the Massachusetts map thread.
You can find a more detailed description there.

Here it's a possible graphic arrangement:
Southern_New_England_00 (click to show)

Feel free to comment and tell me what you think is good and what is not please.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
I like what you did with this map from its early suggestion and layout. I have nothing but praise for the research, adaptation and graphic work put in by you to get this started.

The problem is, for this map to continue, you have to seek permission from Clarke to either continue it yourself or to wait for him to be finished with Hawaii and also to learn to use Photoshop to be able to show his creativity and skills, in order to make this map to the new required standards.

Allowances and assistance have been given to Hawaii for the reasons of helping Clarke complete a D12 map he has tried so very hard to achieve and for all his understanding & efforts from before the new system was in place and have been rewarded with plenty of feedback and advice as well as graphic assistance and tuition.

All new maps now have to fit the theme types in the Guide and meet the required quality and acceptability of D12 under the control of the map creators / authors, with whatever partnerships they may need to acquire to get the map to a high standard, not assuming that the Graphics Cartographers will be able to assist. Put bluntly, any map failing to meet the required standards may be withdrawn.

I really would like to see your new set-up being made into a map that D12 can use and cherish and hope that you and Clarke can sort out some sort of agreement of how it will need to be managed.
This does look quite nice graphically, but of course will need a lot of developing, as I know you are well aware.

(Edit): We also now have 2 different threads for the same original suggested map. You will need to talk with Clarke as this was originally his idea.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
Hoodlum wrote:
gameplay looks sorted, i quite like the colour scheme of the whole map.
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
The_Bishop wrote:
Thanks Aero. I thought it was more clear to start a new thread with the new name of the map to make things more clear. This is the only Southern New England thread, the other one was Massachusetts, and it is where the idea was born.

Clarke said he liked my idea and for that reason he wanted me to go ahead by myself, but then agreed to collaborate. Unfortunately he has no time to work on this right now since while I am waiting for him I am trying to do everything I can do.

I know the standards are pretty high but I want to have the fun to try, then I will stop where I cannot proceed anymore.
First of all I want to find a nicer font for the territory tags, unless you all like the standard Sans ;) but I don't think so...
The_Bishop wrote:
As I said I am trying to work on the font.

I think I found one that is nice but I am not sure. And especially I don't know exactly how to regulate the light effect behind the text. Too high is weird, too low is not effective. Plus the background is in some points very dark and the land is in some points very light since I think I tried the best way but I don't know.

Then I want to share what I am doing. Hopefully Clarke will be back in time to adjust it.

Southern_New_England_01 (click to show)

Maybe colours need to be changed? Especially the grey background seems a bit foggy, not very nice, but I don't know what other colour can stay there. Tell me please.
aeronautic wrote:
Sorry I have been so busy with other maps, I have had little time to give to this.

There is also something I want to get sorted out with regard to refining feedback to stages of the map, beside the new requirements for maps, amongst cartographers before we continue with new maps.

This will ensure that this and other new maps take the right path and develop more smoothly for the creator and artist.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
The_Bishop wrote:
Wow, refound the map, refound the thread!

Here a new version:
44 territories
7 regions
new version SNE (click to show)
Provisional graphics. Outlines are pixelated, textures are missing... It's just a draft to get an idea!

EDIT: forgot the references
broader county map (click to show)
Massachusetts (click to show)
The_Bishop wrote:
Please, before I try to develop the graphics, which will take me a while,
what do people prefer:
open battleground (click to show)
or
river warfare (click to show)
??
Matty wrote:
The rivers don't change much in gameplay at all, so I'd say open warfare, simply because rivers that do very little might be a bit confusing.

But it's not a strong preference.

Edit: Ehhh, no, I disagree with myself. I think this should depend on the capital placements. It might matter quite a lot there.
So pick whichever has the better gameplay for capital games.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
pygmyhippo277 wrote:
I agree with matty, I would say probably the rivers would make 5+ player capitals difficult so on that part maybe it makes more sense for the open battleground.
Eat my dust.
The_Bishop wrote:
The Hudson River (on the left) is efficient for improving 3p and 4p placements, the Cunnecticut River (smaller one) is more-loss-than-gain I think. Actually in both scenarios there's some losses and some gains (referring to the capitals).

I came up with a new title idea, just this:
Boston - New York City
under-title:  ' Southern New England,  Hudson Valley,  Long Island '
The_Bishop wrote:
Title tweak:

Boston to New York City
Southern New England,  Hudson Valley,  Long Island.

I want to complete this map when I have time and my mouse working decently.
Rockbert wrote:
I know I'm not part of the map making crew, but I think it looks really good! Looking forward to playing it. I think Open Battleground is the nicer one. :) Nice work!
"A writer is a person for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people."
- Thomas Mann
Rockbert is online.