Defend yourselves with facts if you are able
  • 22 posts
  • Page 2 of 2
emjaydee wrote:
http://www.dominating12.com/?cmd=game&sec=play&id=460114

What is your opinion of this then Aero? He's attacked with very little chance of success, however I am next and stand to gain 7 cards. Nike is a very experienced player and I personally don't have an issue with what he's done, but think this would be a 'fail' in your eyes.
123playcard wrote:
Agreed with MJD here.

I am sure many will tell Mike should just (not) get a card and hope for the best and do not ruin other people game.

However I will do exactly same as Nike.
There is no chance Nike will survive the next round with 5 cards
Matty wrote:
I think I would have done the same in this particular case.

Note however that he does take away MJD's decision. Now MJD cannot really chose anymore whether or not he wants to make a move.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
123playcard wrote:
Also in MJD game,

*** Assuming Clarke (green) only has 70 at his capital while MJD has 77
Nike has 59 at his cap

Should he attack MJD since he is the next taking turn OR should he attack Clarke to improve his chance (and may ruin the game when he fails)

*** How about now assuming Clarke only has 65 at his capital ?

aeronautic wrote:
@Matty In fairness he has 2 cards and was not likely to attack anyone who were also all on 2 cards or less, apart from Nike, who was in control of the board when making his calculated decision and chose not to be a target. It was a normal and accepted move with who he attacked and how he did not block him at all. In a sense, he made MJD's decision for him, but knew that MJD would attack him anyway if he went to 5 cards, as anyone in that position would.

@MJD This sort of move is quite normal in Caps, when someone can't make a set from 4 they usually try for the cards of the next player if within reach and holds some chance of success, whereas not taking a card (when holding 2 pairs) or taking a card and not attacking holds virtually no chance of survival.

If it was me doing this, I would normally not fortify any after failing to ensure the next player gets my cards without fail (Nike had none to fortify anyway), because that is the honourable thing to do, seem as the attacker put the next player in a vulnerable position.

In this case, there are no blocks to other caps either, so quite legitimate what Nike did and you now have a 95% chance at a double set and in no danger if only 1 set, as everyone is on 2 cards or less. If only 1 set, you'd finish with 4 cards and others would now have to act like my first post and attack a lot of troops with a low percentage of 2 sets from 6 cards.

What is always unfair in these cases is that most of the time the defender is forced to turn in to defend (after killing the attackers Cap), but sometimes as in this case, without Nike attacking you, would either have to wait another round for a possible 3 card set or would take a chance and attack him for his 5 cards, with 5 troops and 4 territories between you and a 5 bonus, you quite possibly would have achieved this, but there's always a chance you wouldn't.

My opinion is, this is what we all expect in Cap's and we usually shape our strategy for it.

What are bad things are when a player kills you for no set, no high percentage chance of 2 sets or fails on you and you are not next or within reach of their Cap.
My only pet hate in your situation is when the attacker also fortifies too much for you to take their cap... that is really dishonourable and unfair. This has happened to me many times and is really annoying.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
naathim wrote:
It's called 'Risk' not 'Sit Back and Farm Cards'. I liked Matty's link about not getting desperate and throwing the game away, but one of the only differences between desperation and taking a gamble is what side of the table you're on. And whether or not that gamble pays off!

Nobody likes to get taken out, especially like that. But people are playing THEIR game, not anybody else's. You can't dictate, well that was a stupid move, just because you THINK there might have been another way or YOU would have done it different.

This is why I don't usually like capital games. All people do is sit back and farm cards and the gameplay is ridiculously boring and repetitive.
Matty wrote:
naathim - Apr 16, 08:04 PM
This is why I don't usually like capital games. All people do is sit back and farm cards and the gameplay is ridiculously boring and repetitive.
Although this is true, I would still play it sometimes for other ppl or for exploring a nice map.

The real problem (more with caps than dms, but happens there as well) is that ppl start attacking not because they think they can win, but because they think that otherwise someone else will TRY (not even nescessarily win) and therefore they will lose anyways.

And because more and more ppl do, everybody has a game where all the fun and sportsmanship is gone.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria