Experimenting / Learning
  • 587 posts
  • Page 37 of 40
Hoodlum wrote:
i will continue to experiment with this map, i am having some fun with it. 
Warrant ☰ ★Officer I and a Gentleman
Hoodlum wrote:
no rivers. france department regional edit

Spoiler (click to show)
100% view
The_Bishop wrote:
I like it too and I'm okay also with the smaller regions, but I just forgot one request I had in mind... Can you avoid the cheat on "Corse du Sud" please. I mean actually the name means Southern Corsica but in this way the southernmost part of Corsica doesn't belong to that department/territory anymore. Also, a region having 2 territories only is already a very easy region by itself, it doesn't need to be more defensible (and all the other regions in the map aren't much so). With my bonus system a region like that would be entitled to have a +0 bonus.
«God doesn't play dice with the World» ~ Albert Einstein
Hoodlum wrote:
i didn't realize it was a cheat, musta been a copied cheat from another reference :)

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view

a few little changes. red/white/blue bar
impassable image
Hoodlum wrote:
a thematic map with the roman empire, something i don't know much about. but now know a little something..
AD 396 is the 2nd and last time the roman empire divided between the east and west empires and was the start of the decline of the roman empire.
there's a big extra special gameplay bonus for the east/west theme.
the name places were too lengthy for the small territories, so opted for roman numerals..using a timeline of the expansion from Rome.. 1 to 93

Spoiler (click to show)

100% view
ProblemChild96 wrote:
Interesting, i like the idea of the super region bonus
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
The_Bishop wrote:
So nice! So historical also. Does the circles fit in the small territories?

"MARE INTERNUM" maybe should stay all in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, or be enlarged as " M  A  R  E    I  N  T  E  R  N  U  M " (common cartographic technique).

It's nice to have the two parts of the empire being game-play-represented, I see and appreciate the proportion on the extra bonuses, though they seems huge, couldn't 9 and 8 be enough? I don't know what is the purpose though, so maybe they have to stay as high as they are, i'm just asking.
Hoodlum wrote:
the circles are squeezed in there, that was the painful part of making it, and trying to keep it as accurate to the reference. good suggestion with the Sea name.. i didn't realise it was part of the same thing..it wasn't on the reference lol.

the west/east bonus idea, was a last thought to fill in a blank spot on the map. i thought it might work with the theme, therefore i had also added the extra bit of title.

i was thinking the bonus to be a large one, to pretty much mean game over if someone managed to claim one.
 however, +9 +8 sounds sensible tho :)
The_Bishop wrote:
Yes, it's like a game over, but probably it would be a game over either way. So I don't know, maybe keep it for now and see what the criticism will say.
Anyway I'm happy for the theme choosen, definitely a "must have" map for D-twelve!

Fyi: MARE INTERNUM ="internal sea" (i.e. the Mediterranean Sea), other possible names are/were MARE NOSTRUM ="our sea", or MARE MAGNUM ="the great sea".
MARE MEDITERRANEUM ="sea in the middle of the territories" is also correct in Latin but quite uncommon, I think it came later, not during Romans' Age.

Some similar consideration about OCEANUS ATLANTICUS, I'm not sure that name was used at that age (or at least not as we intend it now), more likely Romans called it just OCEANUS. But I see many references showing OCEANUS ATLANTICUS, so I can be wrong on that.
ProblemChild96 wrote:
Most likely the supper regions only come into play when only 2-4 players remain, i think it would be especially interesting in 3 player games

The small areas are tight but WW2 map has small areas as well and it plays very well
Appear weak when you are strong and strong when you are weak. "Sun Tzu - The Art of War"
aeronautic wrote:
For the Super Regions, they will be classed as two extra regions in the map input area and therefore, anyone who has a super region will also have all the actual regions inside it and so I think the smaller bonuses are more suitable and could possibly go even smaller.

We now have a legally accepted table of Roman Numerals as used on this map, but Roman Numerals during the time of the Roman Empire were not as they are now, they have been unified in recent history, but were once varied in their combinations and meanings.

Variations of Roman Numerals (click to show)
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
There was a lot more information on Roman Numerals in the spoiler above, but for some reason, it keeps getting deleted.

(Edit) I have been able to post the information today, so the above post has been edited.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.