Ask the staff a question and you'll get an answer
  • 285 posts
  • Page 9 of 19
PeacefulWarrior wrote:
I do understand these things. I just feel once you have purchased a rank such as I did, you should not have to collect another 1000 tokens to buy the next rank once you qualify for it....but rather the difference between the cost of the rank you currently hold and paid for and the cost of the next higher rank ( in my case 150 tokens). To me this seems more fair and reasonable.

PW
Cireon wrote:
I don't think the current system is perfect, but also disagree with your particular opinion. However, this is going beyond a simple question and answer, so if you want to discuss this further I'd recommend creating a thread in our suggestions forum.
“This is how humans are: We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question.”
- Speaker for the Dead, O.S. Card
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Could be a simple question, but the answer is unknown to me - hence I'm asking :D

Check this game for example: https://dominating12.com/game/916140
It's a team game, in Assassination... does everyone still get a unique target? Do you win if you elimate the target of your teammate?

Thx in advance!

-Alex
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
If I remember correctly you get a team as target, not a player.
(Would be a bit too easy if you get your teammate as target, now would it?)

Jep, an entire team is the target.
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
If I remember correctly you get a team as target, not a player.
(Would be a bit too easy if you get your teammate as target, now would it?)

Jep, an entire team is the target.

I did not imply that you have your teammate as target xD But that you could both go after your own target, as well as your team mates target...
Furthermore... I do not think it's any easier really if you have your teammate as target... if s/he gets him/herself weaker, so you can take him/her out... that also means the ennemies can take him/her out and then snowball further with cards...

Going with what you found out =>
What if there are 4 teams with all 2 players; team A has team B as target. Team A eliminates 1 of team B. However fails to take out the 2nd team B member. Team C eliminates the 2nd Team B member, does team A now get the team target of team B? If yes... I could imagine it is rather hard/risky to win such a game... if no, it's strange to win like that... either way... I'm not sure what to think of this right now :<
“Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

― Albert Einstein
Matty wrote:
It's a lot easier to kill someone that wants to be killed by you :) And the reason why I made that remark is on how the randomization works. We could change that, but it's not realy necessary, as it's a team that you have as target, not a player. The reason is mostly that it's easier to implement - way less weird edge cases this way.

As for the problem you describe: it's not that easy to kill a player, so the team that wants to troll you and force you to get a new target will have to invest troops doing so (and therefore be easier to get killed themselves)
Also, the same holds for the opposing team, so everyone has the same difficulties.

Not really sure what to think about it either though, I think I've only played 1 team-assassination game too B)
"Strength doesn't lie in numbers, strength doesn't lie in wealth. Strength lies in nights of peaceful slumbers." ~Maria
AlexCheckMate wrote:
Matty
It's a lot easier to kill someone that wants to be killed by you :) And the reason why I made that remark is on how the randomization works. We could change that, but it's not realy necessary, as it's a team that you have as target, not a player. The reason is mostly that it's easier to implement - way less weird edge cases this way.

As for the problem you describe: it's not that easy to kill a player, so the team that wants to troll you and force you to get a new target will have to invest troops doing so (and therefore be easier to get killed themselves)
Also, the same holds for the opposing team, so everyone has the same difficulties.

Not really sure what to think about it either though, I think I've only played 1 team-assassination game too B)

I think in theory I'm on board with you; it is indeed a lot easier to kill someone who wishes to be killed by me... but in practice, I'm not too sure about it. Not when there's still 6 other contenders on the board. Do not wish one of the other teams to take advantage and possibly snowball the entire game.... how do you figure it would be so much easier? What about the randomisation?

I'm not saying it's easy to kill a player, but it can often be (so I imagine) a much better choice to eliminate the remaining player of a 2-player team - thereby enforcing a new 2p team on the contender, than allow the contending fully alive 2p team to hunt their last target... if this 1p team isn't the one hunting you, you won't get more pressure on yourself, yet put more pressure on the other teams and you take away/lower the risk of seeing "game over" somewhat "suddenly" from a 1p elimination.

I'm feeling more and more strange about this setup....

― Albert Einstein
aeronautic wrote:
Question from @catpere :
HOW CAN I PLAY TOURNAMENTS?
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
aeronautic wrote:
Tournaments are run from this Forum

When one starts or restarts, it is announced and you simply add a POST stating that you want to play.

Some tournaments require a minimum player level / ability and some require tokens.
See which type of tournament best suits you and post your interest in partaking.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Los torneos se realizan desde este foro

Cuando uno comienza o se reinicia, se anuncia y simplemente agrega un POST que indica que desea jugar.

Algunos torneos requieren un nivel / habilidad de jugador mínimo y algunos requieren tokens.
Vea qué tipo de torneo le conviene más y publique su interés en participar.
Hyd yn oed er fy mod Cymraeg , dim ond yn siarad Saesneg, felly yr wyf yn gobeithio y bydd y cyfieithu yn gywir.
GriffinUcos wrote:
Hi, My current games show that resigning will cost 40 tokens.
In a game I finished recently one player missed turns, did not play and was removed. He received 10 tokens and lost 14 rating.
Another resigned without playing and received 20 tokens and lost 13 rating.
I was 3/7 and received 20 tokens and lost 14 rating.
How does it work, as I would have been better off resigning?

Thanks
"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake we must not interrupt him too soon."
AlexCheckMate wrote:
GriffinUcos
Hi, My current games show that resigning will cost 40 tokens.
In a game I finished recently one player missed turns, did not play and was removed. He received 10 tokens and lost 14 rating.
Another resigned without playing and received 20 tokens and lost 13 rating.
I was 3/7 and received 20 tokens and lost 14 rating.
How does it work, as I would have been better off resigning?

Thanks

Let me start by saying I'm not part of the staff - Nevertheless, I figure I have an answer for you; here goes:
I quickly tried to find the game you're talking about and assume it is this one: https://dominating12.com/game/932331
I believe that for every game you finish, you get a default 20 tokens. From this default number, 5 tokens get deducted for each turn you miss. The player who didn't play missed 2 turns in a row and got kicked => 20-2*5=10. All good.
The other player resigned; he as such didn't miss any turns. He gets 20. He did however get 40 tokens deducted for resigning, this is however not shown in the game logs, as it's not really part of the game... that's just his private stuff.
You didn't resign, nor did you miss any turns => you get 20 too.

Rating is completely separate - you do not gain/loose more/less rating by continuing to play/resigning.
There is no distinction made between places 2 till X (X being 3 till 9). Either you win the game and get rating, or you loose the game and loose rating. You may for yourself remember you finished 3rd out of 7, but that doesn't mean anything for the game statistics here.

Would you have been better of rating? Suppose that depends on your goal... had you resigned, you had lost 40 tokens, yet saved some time? Resigning is somewhat frowned upon and should be seen as a last resort (my opinion), as you are supposed to play to win (and you can't win anymore after you resign).

Hope this answers your question, if not: feel free to formulate it a lil' different (and/or wait for answer/s from other people).

-Alex

― Albert Einstein
elysium5 wrote:
Also on a side note to Alex's post above, if you are in a 2 player game only or are one of 2 players still alive in a game, it does not cost you any tokens to resign.

I am also not fond of resigning. I will play to win to the bitter end. I have never resigned in more than 7000 games played. You never know what is going to happen;)
"I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it."